Off Topic

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby MCC » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:22 pm

"Bang bang she shot me down
Bang bang I hit the ground
Bang bang that awful sound
Bang bang my baby shot me down"

No familiarity intended.

Em you may well be right, memory eludes me at the moment.

MCC
MCC

Postby emm » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:31 pm

Funny I can't find anything to confirm shot vs shod. In the meantime I'm sticking with shot - it's more visual. Overnight my mental picture extended to a more aerial departure - something like a missile launcher. If I aimed you (not you personally) at something, say the neighbour's rubbish pile and hit it, then I'd call that a ‘good shot’. If I missed and hit the brick wall (by mistake) that’d be a ‘crack shot’ and the BBQ would be a ‘hot shot’. If it was night you'd be a 'shot in the dark' and could have landed up anywhere. On the ascent you’d be the ‘upshot’, to any interested onlookers just a 'passing shot’. Pulling the pin (or whatever you do to missile launchers) would be my 'parting shot'. Soon as you were gone I'd be ‘off like a shot' and my photo of you landing - that’d be my souvenir 'snapshot’.

This is all purely hypothetical.:D
emm

Postby Chessmaster » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:08 pm

And Hunting season opened. we should all Watch out for Dick Cheney
Chessmaster

Postby MCC » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:10 pm

I'd like to take a pot shot at this.

Would anyone here call me a big shot who calls all the shots? I think not, it would be a long shot if they did.

After a shot across my bows, from a friend, which I ignored, and a shotgun wedding loomed, would the words I said to the forthcoming bride-to-be, as I skedaddled, be a parthian shot?

So, having avoided matrimony, I would've liked to have treated everyone to a shot in the arm but the way my finances were there was not a shot in my locker.

Well, I've had a shot at this, probably a bad shot but you can't win them all, so now I'm of like a shot.

A shotten herring or red herring, your call:D

MCC
MCC

Postby emm » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:59 pm

I wish I'd thought of shotten! It fits with the idea of cleaving, sloughing, casting off ... maybe the origin (what were we talking about again?) is actually 'well shotten'.
emm

"The Secret Life of Words" by Henry Hitchings

Postby Pat » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:03 am

The Secret Life of Words

by Henry Hitchings
there's a book-review
in The Times (2008.Mar.28) --~ Pat
Pat

Postby EnderGT » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:34 pm

emm wrote:Funny I can't find anything to confirm shot vs shod. In the meantime I'm sticking with shot - it's more visual. Overnight my mental picture extended to a more aerial departure - something like a missile launcher. If I aimed you (not you personally) at something, say the neighbour's rubbish pile and hit it, then I'd call that a �good shot�. If I missed and hit the brick wall (by mistake) that�d be a �crack shot� and the BBQ would be a �hot shot�. If it was night you'd be a 'shot in the dark' and could have landed up anywhere. On the ascent you�d be the �upshot�, to any interested onlookers just a 'passing shot�. Pulling the pin (or whatever you do to missile launchers) would be my 'parting shot'. Soon as you were gone I'd be �off like a shot' and my photo of you landing - that�d be my souvenir 'snapshot�.

This is all purely hypothetical.:D

shod also refers to having shoes - i.e. the welsher has good shoes and ran off in a hurry.
EnderGT

Previous

Return to Coffee bar