["Killer"] New Evidence that The Times is WRONG!

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Postby Karyobin » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:21 pm

The conundrum is solved. Please accept my appreciation and admiration for your knowledge of the kanji, a subject which I aspire to learn, with no sense of irony.
Karyobin

Postby zebedeezbd » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:36 pm

udosuk wrote:Looks like the Times people made another blunder again...

Indeed that is the only sure thing here. The Times mentions Nisawa in at least one of their articles, and Misawa in the copyright tags on the puzzles. So either they are right and wrong... or wrong and right. Either way they are wrong... again.
zebedeezbd

Postby zebedeezbd » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:54 pm

Does anyone else get the sense that The Times's usual puzzle editor might have been on vacation the past couple of weeks? You can just picture the scene, can't you, when this morning he gets back into the office to discover that the little upstart, who usually does the sport, and who's been covering for him in his absence, has introduced a new puzzle, made four botched attempts at setting out the rules, got the name of the puzzle's creator wrong, and accidentally published one of the puzzles twice! He is so fired!
zebedeezbd

Postby PaulIQ164 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:02 pm

Wayne certainly said earlier that "his man at The Times" was on vacation (regarding the "Fiendish" controversy - any news about what was happening there?), and it'd certainly seem logical that that man would be the puzzles editor. Presumably he introduced the Killers, then left for a holiday, and will be astonished at the fracas awaiting him on his return.
Last edited by PaulIQ164 on Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulIQ164

Postby zebedeezbd » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:04 pm

That's true! There may be more to my little conjecture than humorous specualtion after all!
zebedeezbd

Postby udosuk » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:16 pm

But if that's the true scenario then WHO should be fired?

The usually reliable editor who introduced a new puzzle and then left for vacation?

Or the poor sports guy who was still over-excited about the Ashes and forced to cover on something totally unfamiliar?

And Karyobin, your "appreciation and admiration" is totally accepted ^_^.

Just a reminder, when googling Japanese female names in English you got to be very careful. It's very easy to stump onto sites which ummm... have graphical contents that might offend some of the puzzle enthusiasts here (if you know what I mean ^_^). And I hold no responsibility if somebody try this and find something to their surprise/excitement/disturbance...
udosuk

Postby Karyobin » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:20 pm

udosuk wrote:But if that's the true scenario then WHO should be fired?

Everyone, coz of general incompetence.

But no-one will, coz of the White House.
Karyobin

Postby zebedeezbd » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:23 pm

udosuk wrote:But if that's the true scenario then WHO should be fired?

I say get the puzzles editor to do the sport for a couple of weeks. If he manages to do it without 27 blunders, he wins and keeps his job; if on the other hand he does even worse than the sports chap, he's out.*

*I should add here that I am not making the assumption that the puzzles and/or sports editors at The Times are male, or indeed that their names are spelled in any particular way!
Last edited by zebedeezbd on Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zebedeezbd

Postby PaulIQ164 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:23 pm

If they are fired, I'll be applying for that job. How easy it must be to be Puzzles editor! Think up a word every day to go in the polygon, click a button on the in-house Pappocom Sudoku program, and check your e-mails for the latest crosswords and quizzes from Philip Howard and Olav Bjortomt. Home by lunch!
PaulIQ164

Postby jf27 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:26 pm

On her website, the lady states:

(Nisawa written in Timesonline is a print mistake)
jf27

Previous

Return to Sudoku variants