Mystery Letters Sudoku

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Mystery Letters Sudoku

Postby Ruud » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:28 am

I have created a new variant puzzle, which contains letters that need to be converted to digits before you can solve the puzzle.

The real challenge is not the sudoku, but figuring out how to convert the letters into digits.

Please do not post a solution or any remarks here that would spoil it for others.

Ruud
Ruud

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Huh? At first I thought that, since there are 13 letters in the puzzle, there would be an X-to-one correspondence between letters and digits, e.g. all E's stand for the same digit, but (for example) E and N could both stand for the same digit.

But then I noticed there were two T's in the same box.

You need to explain the rules.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby Ruud » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:56 pm

The rules are:

1. Look carefully at the letters and convert them into numbers using a single method. (this is the riddle)

2. Complete the grid in such a way that each row, each column and each 3x3 box contains digits 1 through 9. (this is the puzzle)

Think outside the box. At least 1 player has already solved it.
Ruud

Postby Finlip » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:14 pm

I don't know if I'll be able to solve this. It looks really puzzling. Ruud has not given any clue at all. But let me try it anyway.
Finlip

Postby emm » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:36 am

Is everyone else secretly PMing Ruud with their answers or are you going nuts like me?

If I squint my eyes and make the grid go blurry I can see the word nightmare across the middle of the screen - is this a clue?

I'm getting a headache.Image I'm going to watch Youtube and wait for a hint.
emm

Postby Ruud » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:04 pm

Well, I guess it is time for a hint.

I never imagined this puzzle would be a nightmare for so many people. Converting the letters into digits is quite elementary. Try to figure out why the letters are organized in pairs.

emm, I only get PMs from people asking for a hint.:D

Ruud
Ruud

Postby motris » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:16 pm

Not so hard - but then my profession helps me identify what you were getting at Ruud. Your hint should be sufficient for people to get somewhere I hope.
motris

Postby udosuk » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:33 pm

Once that hint is given I'm sure 80% of people who had problems before wouldn't have any more...:!:

Another way of giving a hint is saying some special knowledge is required... I thought it was a "pure logical puzzle"...:(

Anyway great puzzle!:)
udosuk

Postby Finlip » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:59 pm

Ruud wrote:Try to figure out why the letters are organized in pairs.

I was going to ask why.
I have still not been able to sit down and try your puzzle but I think its going to be difficult. I was thinking of a way to solve it but now your hint means my method may fail.
Finlip

Postby emm » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:28 am

To think that some people tried to secretly get hints! Well that’s just sneaky - why didn’t I think of that? Pride wouldn't let me, that's why … but being relegated to the 20% - that hurts! That might make me... no, not even tempted.

Today might just be the day I crack it. Today I'm going to really try to make the 80%... the very, very quiet 80%.Image
emm

Postby emm » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:24 am

Finally! udosuk put me in the 80% - I'll PM you the answer to be sure.:D
emm

Postby udosuk » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:45 am

No need to PM me! I'm sure you've got it...:)

Sorry I'm one of those shameless ones that PMed Ruud for secret hints... I'm definitely not as stoical as you... When I get hopelessly stuck I ask help instead of putting myself thru the pain... But I guarantee you that Ruud is a fair dinkum bloke... He didn't give me much special help (if any) and I came through with that publicly announced hint...
udosuk

Postby jimbob » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:49 am

Emm

Well done and welcome to the 80%.

I haven't bothered to pm Ruud with my solution - I'm sure we know when we've got it.

Ruud's hint was the give away for me.
jimbob

Postby emm » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:00 pm

jimbob, yes, I'm sure we do know ... but didn't you feel you had to tell people? I couldn't have borne it for no-one to know after all that!:D

I didn't click with Ruud's clue - I was already looking at the pairs - but too closely as it turned out. I really do not know why after all those days I looked at it one more time and suddenly saw it. Isn't it curious how the brain works.
emm

Postby jimbob » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:09 pm

Well I guess I have told everyone I've done it now!
jimbob

Next

Return to Sudoku variants