Mystery Letters Sudoku

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Postby RW » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:10 pm

Very nice Ruud! I think motris clue gave it away, what profession could possibly deal with strange 2 letter combinations?

Inspired by your puzzle I decided to make a variation of your variation, this time motris profession won't help him...:)

Code: Select all
 |11.|.22|...|
 |.55|...|...|
 |...|..7|7..|
 |---+---+---|
 |...|.99|9..|
 |999|...|..7|
 |..8|8..|..7|
 |---+---+---|
 |...|.55|...|
 |...|...|22.|
 |66.|...|.11|

I'm quite sure that nobody can solve it just by looking at the grid so I'll qive you a hint:
The rules of sudoku would not allow the heroic clue.

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby tarek » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:35 pm

I knew it was a RUSSIAN culprit behind this all along:D

RW, I hope that this doesn't have to do with Martians & how many fingers they have:)

Dimitri
tarek

Postby RW » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:53 am

tarek wrote:RW, I hope that this doesn't have to do with Martians & how many fingers they have

Nope, no Martians involved. Only an Earthling.:)

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby udosuk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:45 pm

RW, could you "qive" more hints please?

I take it you have to find about a certain legendary hero to learn a method to convert those double/triple numbers to different-digit numbers?

Is the grid supposed to be converted to another grid with different numbers in those occupied cells, and all the empty cells stay empty? You need to present clearer rules (like Ruud did)!

Hey emm, this time I'm being a good boy, not asking for hints secretly... Can I get a candy please?:D
udosuk

Postby RW » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:27 pm

udosuk wrote:Is the grid supposed to be converted to another grid with different numbers in those occupied cells, and all the empty cells stay empty?

Yes.
udosuk wrote:I take it you have to find about a certain legendary hero to learn a method to convert those double/triple numbers to different-digit numbers?

You must look at the 9 great deeds of a true historical hero. The heroic deed cannot fit in a sudoku grid.

No more hints now, the answer would be quite obvious to me with these hints.

PS. The word "qive" in my first post was not supposed to be a hint. I have absolutely no idea how the word got there, the letters 'g' and 'q' aren't even remotely close to each other on the keyboard...

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby RW » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:00 pm

Hmm.. perhaps I should have posted this in the "Off-topic" section as this is actually more of a riddle than a sudoku variant. I'll give you another hint anyway:
The hero is not the dog.

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby emm » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:15 pm

I am so not getting this one. Are we talking about AT?

But udosuk is getting this. Love the name. It’s Finnish! It’s only 250 calories!
emm

Postby RW » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:43 am

emm wrote:Love the name. It’s Finnish! It’s only 250 calories!

Interesting, haven't tried one of those, I usually don't buy pink candy...

emm wrote:I am so not getting this one. Are we talking about AT?

Ok, apparently I once again managed to make it a lot harder than I thought... As I said two posts back, "the answer would be quite obvious to me with these hints" - that was also intended as a hint... But if it still doesn't work, let me rewrite the initial problem:

Code: Select all
 |11.|.22|...|
 |.55|...|...|
 |...|..7|7..|
 |---+---+---|
 |...|.JO|Y..|
 |JOY|...|..7|
 |..8|8..|..7|
 |---+---+---|
 |...|.55|...|
 |...|...|22.|
 |66.|...|.11|

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby emm » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:43 am

Is this related to your profession, RW?
emm

Postby udosuk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:06 am

Thanks... Ironically, it's a casual comment from emm that let me solve it...:!:

Even the JOY hint is not enough for me...:( Obviously RW is a very mean hint-giver (for myself only)...:)
udosuk

Postby RW » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:16 pm

emm wrote:Is this related to your profession, RW?

Yes.

udosuk wrote:Even the JOY hint is not enough for me...:( Obviously RW is a very mean hint-giver (for myself only)...:)

I don't want to be mean. I thought I gave you enough hints in the last post to solve it easily with the 'all powerful online riddle solvers guide' used for most of the riddles posted on the forum...:)

But maybe one more hint...
da-da-da-daa ... da-da-da-daa=67

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby udosuk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:21 am

To solve it first we must know a bit about yourself, which many "regular customers" here already do... And then we need at least a little bit of knowledge about that particular field related to you... Which sadly I don't have much... However with the help of wikipedia I managed to decode the digits and solved the puzzle right after emm's question 3 posts ago...

I don't know how many people fit the above conditions (knowing a bit about you and your field or use wikipedia well), but I don't think there are many... So perhaps you could consider giving some more specific hint such as the nationality of the main subject person here or any disability he/she has, just for the "irregulars" here...
udosuk

Postby RW » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:38 am

udosuk wrote:To solve it first we must know a bit about yourself, which many "regular customers" here already do... And then we need at least a little bit of knowledge about that particular field related to you... Which sadly I don't have much...

I agree that it wasn't an easy one, but compared to MCC's What am I (21) on a similar subject, it should have been much easier. I think everyone would at least have heard about these nine heroic deeds, or am I wrong?

udosuk wrote:So perhaps you could consider giving some more specific hint such as the nationality of the main subject person here or any disability he/she has, just for the "irregulars" here...

Maybe I should... but I don't know what hints I could give about the deaf German without making the riddle too easy...:)

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby emm » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:08 pm

I think you do have a high expectation of us RW - but that's OK, we like to be challenged and we can improve.:D

Well done udosuk, for making the connection. I doubt that I would have got it from my casual comment.:D
emm

Postby MCC » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:24 am

Still haven't solved number one, but here's a clue to number two (not that I have solved this one either):

21, 36, 55, 60, 67, 68, 92, 93, 125.

It's definitely not a dog. Pity, I could do with a brandy.

MCC
MCC

Previous

Return to Sudoku variants