Killer Sudoku - Available anywhere other than The Times?

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Killer Sudoku - Available anywhere other than The Times?

Postby zebedeezbd » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:03 am

I am in the UK and have really enjoyed the KILLER SU DOKUS in The Times since they started publishing them a couple of weeks ago, almost to the point that I don't enjoy "ordinary" su dokus so much anymore!

The publication of The Times books of Killer su dokus has been postponed due to a print delay. I want more Killer-type puzzles to take with me when I go abroad in a few days, but can't find any other source than The Times.

I know The Times did not invent this variety, but claims to be the first to bring it to the UK. Are there any sudoku websites or foreign newspaper websites out there with this type of puzzle that I could print out?
zebedeezbd

Postby Pi » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:32 pm

The book comes out in just over 2 weeks, that will probably have 100 in it, i suppose someone will probable start a compuer program before too long, i don't know if papocom intends to
Pi

Postby jf27 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:49 pm

The book comes out in just over 2 weeks

Meanwhile, there must be some Japanese sites, surely?
Last edited by jf27 on Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jf27

Postby Pi » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:48 pm

jf27 wrote:

Meanwhile, ther must be some Japanese sites, surely?

Yes we can all read
Pi

Postby jf27 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:42 am

jf27 wrote:

Meanwhile, there must be some Japanese sites, surely?

Yes we can all read

Sorry, but I'm puzzled by the rather huffy response. I intended to ask whether anyone knew of URLs for Japanese websites which included Killer Sudokus, and was not doubting anyone's reading ability (unless it was of Japanese). Apologies if I seemed to.
jf27

Postby zebedeezbd » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:31 am

jf27 wrote:Sorry, but I'm puzzled by the rather huffy response.

You quoted my text in a quote box and accidentally typed your comment in the quote box too. So Pi thought you had simply quoted something I had said, without making any comment (which would indeed be pointless), hence the sarcastic remark.

In answer to your question I have asked many people in the sudoku world if they know of other sources for so-called Killer sudokus, and nobody seems to. Thus far I have failed to find them on the internet or anywhere. I suppose we need someone who can read/type Japanese to search in Japanese Google for us.
zebedeezbd

Postby dukuso » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:18 am

has someone tried to make them ?

see also here:

http://www.setbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=213&mforum=sudoku
dukuso

Postby jf27 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:25 pm

You quoted my text in a quote box and accidentally typed your comment in the quote box too. So Pi thought you had simply quoted something I had said, without making any comment (which would indeed be pointless), hence the sarcastic remark.

Ah yes, my mistake, sorry Pi and Zebedeezbd. The only Japanese site I've found useful (since I can't read Japanese and Google "translations" only produce surrealistic Japlish) is:

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~sumnumberplace/

Only a couple of actual puzzles there, perhaps already published in The Times, but a useful list of possible number combinations, and a few tips. By the way, the rules there include this statement
The same number doesn't enter in joined squares of dotted lines.
jf27

Postby zebedeezbd » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:54 pm

jf27 wrote:By the way, the rules there include this statement
The same number doesn't enter in joined squares of dotted lines.

Yes, it this is what I have found too. In Tso's thread about sudoku variants (http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=995#7492) he mentions and gives an example of "sum doku" (presumably from a Japanese source?) which is the same as Times Killer Sudoku, but with the additional no-repeats-inside-cages constraint. Apart from The Times' Killers I have failed to find any trace of this type of puzzle without the no-repeats-inside-cages constraint.
zebedeezbd

Postby zebedeezbd » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:17 pm

Thanks for the link jf27. Very interesting indeed. See my new discussion on this issue here: http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=1625
zebedeezbd

Postby jf27 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:43 pm

Yes, Zebedee -- from the horse's mouth, so to speak! (Is the link in your new posting in the Times forum broken, by the way?)

John F. (jf27)
jf27

Postby zebedeezbd » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:00 pm

Broken? Hm, it works for me.
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~sumnumberplace/
Only a couple of actual puzzles there, perhaps already published in The Times

I have just double-checked and I can confirm that the 2 puzzles on Miyuki's website have not (yet) appeared in The Times. So if you're looking for extra Killer su dokus (without any start numbers, yay!) there's a couple at the above link.
zebedeezbd

Postby Pi » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:06 pm

cheers
Pi

Killer Sudoku that I just cannot solve

Postby Noggin » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:43 pm

Hi Every1,
This came from 'thetimesonline' uk site ( http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1757275,00.html ) and I would say that it is unsolvable by logic alone. If the picture link works I would ask you, nay, beg you, nay, order you, to prove me wrong...
I've looked at the damn thing for hours and cannot see a logical next move?
Now I have popped all the numbers into a solver to establish that I have not made a mistake and it gives a solution so I do believe it is not a true Su Doku. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
Noggin.
P.S....If anyone can solve it from the point I have reached please dont show me the total solution just the very next move
Noggin

Postby zebedeezbd » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:55 pm

I have solved this one by logic alone, and your solution matches mine so far. If I get a spare minute, I'll try to recall what the next move is and let you know.
zebedeezbd

Next

Return to Sudoku variants