Killer Killer?

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Postby HATMAN » Sun May 14, 2006 2:09 pm

MikeJapan and H3lix have been putting up Double Killers on DJape’s Forum. These consist of two layouts with very large cages which have the same solution, neither of which is solvable alone {without trial and error} but which can be solved jointly.

I have really enjoyed them and intend to put a few up in KiMo form over the next few weeks.

To start with, I have put up H3lix’s Double Interdependent Insane Killer #2 as a KiMo. It is only slightly harder in KiMo form - so still in the mid-range of difficulty.
HATMAN

Postby Pyrrhon » Sun May 14, 2006 4:40 pm

You can consider frame sudoku as played on the 1st world championship as an interesting special case of such killer sudoku pair.

Pyrrhon
Pyrrhon

Postby HATMAN » Mon May 15, 2006 6:41 am

Pyrron

Would you mind explaining about frame sudoku, or giving a reference please?

Hatman
Last edited by HATMAN on Tue May 16, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HATMAN

Postby Pyrrhon » Mon May 15, 2006 12:08 pm

No problem. Digits in an outside frame are equal to the sum of the three numbers of the corresponding row or column in the contigous box.

This type was played on the 1st world championship (PDF, 1.8 MByte). You can find another (easy) example at my sudoku variant page.

You can consider this as two interacting sum sudoku. One with horizontal 1x3 cages, the other one with 3x1 vertical cages.

The most used techniques are hidden and naked sets, box-line interactions, cage possibility calculations, and 45 test in the row or line.

Pyrrhon
Pyrrhon

Postby HATMAN » Wed May 17, 2006 12:18 pm

Pyrrhon

Thanks I tried that one of yours - fun to do. My DG killer 2 is similar as you can re-format the Row-Column cages into the Nonet-Spot frame and get exactly this type of puzzle. This realisation has just come to me and will help with a standing problem I have. I tried the same puzzle in Kimo form and got part of the way through cage elimination, but I put it to one side when I found that KiMos are not necessarily unique when the Killer form is unique. I will reformat it as a double KiMo and see if I can solve it.

Thanks

HATMAN
HATMAN

Postby HATMAN » Mon May 22, 2006 8:18 am

Djape has made a very interesting siamese twin double killer. I have now put it up in KiMo form and it works very well.

By the way I have now linked my main page to DJ's daily killer, which gives immediate access:

www.diceboard.co.uk

Hatman
HATMAN

Postby HATMAN » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:29 am

For those of you who do not want to spend all your time watching the World Cup I have put up a new double KiMo. This is a very difficult one. It is effectively a Frame Sudoku but simplified a bit as frames seem almost impossible to solve in KiMo format. Comments welcome.
HATMAN

Postby HATMAN » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:20 pm

There are a couple of new TiKi based KiMos up. #32 I found very difficult to start, but OK once I had a grip on it, so I have added a clue to help anyone in difficulties get going.
HATMAN

Postby HATMAN » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:02 pm

A couple of KiMos up, an easy TiKi (which remains easy) and a DJApe EASY that became quite hard.
HATMAN

Previous

Return to Sudoku variants