How to ask for help

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Postby QBasicMac » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:57 pm

emm wrote:Yes, you're right - my mistake about the moved thread - but it doesn’t alter the fact that whichever way you look at it – solutions or techniques - the bulk of ‘puzzles’ logically divides into beginner / advanced not published / unpublished.

Maybe so, but from a SuDoku newbie's point of view: They have a puzzle that can't be solved. So they say "I wonder if the internet can help?" So they try sudoku-dot-com (what else). They need to see a single forum in which to post a puzzle. They have one: "Puzzles you have a particular problem with". GREAT. So they post there.

The point of all this exercise was to ensure nobody gives them a bad time, saying "this is not a Pappocom puzzle" or "This is a Pappocom puzzle", etc. etc.

It makes no difference where the puzzle came from.

Now if we had a LOT of traffic, some of it from near-gurus trying to get some really advanced help and some from newbies who haven't a clue, then it might make sense to have two places to post. But with our traffic level, I suggest that every single puzzle in the universe which can't be solved by someone be posted in the one-and-only place.

Wayne merely added that if that does not happen, then no-big-deal. Treat any puzzle posted anywhere as if it were posted in the correct place.

So I get out of this, bottom line, that we forum users don't have to worry about anything except SuDoku. Wayne will worry about posts that have to be moved (if any). Animator was just trying to correct any instructions that exist that are contrary to the rule of feeling free, if not encouraged, to post any puzzle from any source in our one and only help-with-finding-solutions place.

IMHO

Mac
QBasicMac

Calling Wayne

Postby Cec » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:39 am

I've read ..and read the above posts a number of times and whilst some points of view conflict I can still relate to virtually all the points put forward in these discussions - it certainly highlights the difficulties of arriving at a mutually acceptable simpler format for "pidgeon holeing" the various forums which seems to be what this topic is about. Some points I would like to make:
emm wrote:Quite a few difficult puzzles are posted in Advanced Techniques

I agree with this. Whilst the initial grid is only sometimes submitted like here and here it is not unusual for a pencilmark grid to be submitted in the "Advanced Techniques" section - presumably to save forum space by leaving out the basic steps to reach the stage where the advanced technique(s) commences. The point is that (IMHO) a pencilmark grid is still a puzzle grid.
Animator wrote:In Advanced Techniques there are no post (or atleast not that I can immedialy spot) that ask for help in solving the puzzles.

Without going back through all posts this is probably true and explanations usually are given for solving the puzzle. Likewise, in "Help with particular puzzles" help is not always specifically asked for either but members obviously assume that's what is wanted.
emm wrote:"...and it seems to me that beginner / advanced is a natural division for the puzzle section.

Animator wrote:It's not natural. For example, what's the difference between beginner and advanced? ..."

Yes, not easy to define the "difference" but there has to be a "difference" as members have somehow "defined" this themselves by deciding which puzzles qualify, either for posting to (pencilmark grid), or explaining solving techniques, in the "Advanced Techniques" forum.

Cec
Cec

Come on guys - How about a simple immediate fix?

Postby QBasicMac » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:43 pm

I don't understand why we are all struggling with this change. It is quite simple. Change the current instructions found at
http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=2664
Animator wrote:You should only post your questions/problems in this section of the forum if you have a problem with an unpublished puzzle.
If it's a puzzle published in a (news)paper, magazine or book then you should post your question in the category Sudoku: in papers and publications. (Read: not in here.)
This list should help you pick the right one:

to

Animator wrote:You are welcome to post your questions in this section of the forum if you have a problem with any puzzle.

Right?

Mac
QBasicMac

Postby Pappocom » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks, Animator - I've amended the "What this forum is for" Sticky.

I don't think any other amendments are needed. The forums are not mutually exclusive: there is overlap between them. I don't see any particular need to force people into using just one forum when they want help with a particular puzzle. If I were to do that, it would be a rigidity against which some people would rebel - it's human nature - and then I would get complaints of a different kind.

All of this only became an issue because one member posted a Help request in (allegedly) the wrong forum and was reprimanded for doing so by a second member, and the first member didn't like it. The solution is for members not to be too fussy and for members not to reprimand each other.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:17 pm

Pappocom wrote:All of this only became an issue because one member posted a Help request in (allegedly) the wrong forum and was reprimanded for doing so by a second member, and the first member didn't like it. The solution is for members not to be too fussy and for members not to reprimand each other.

May I just add that we now have a Moderator to do the reprimanding:D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Previous

Return to Forum questions and feedback