...from the ashes

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

...from the ashes

Postby re'born » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:18 pm

The one you know as rep'nA is no more.

udosuk wrote:Oh my god... What a terrible thing to happen...:(

From my past exchanging with rep'nA I don't think he should be in trouble for what he said or did (that I'm aware of), and he has been providing very valuable ideas and advices, especially in the "Help with particular puzzles" section lately. I'm not into conspiracy theories and don't know what to say now either. I hope at least he's well in the "real life".


Thanks for the warm thoughts udosuk. I've made a deal with some higher ups so I'm not allowed to reveal what really happened, but let's just say it's big and it goes all the way to the top:!:

Thanks to all of you who have gone out of your way to hunt down my old posts. In particular, udosuk, Ocean and Pat. You guys rock! I didn't realize how important that which I've written is to me until it disappeared. I also didn't realize just how much I appreciate this community until I was no longer a part of it.
re'born
 
Posts: 551
Joined: 31 May 2007

Postby Red Ed » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:54 pm

Hey guys it's a newbie! Kill the n00b, yeh!!:D
Red Ed
 
Posts: 633
Joined: 06 June 2005

Postby re'born » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:31 pm

Red Ed wrote:Hey guys it's a newbie! Kill the n00b, yeh!!:D


Nice.

"I'm going to teach you the lesson that it is not okay to be a freshman."
re'born
 
Posts: 551
Joined: 31 May 2007

Re: ...from the ashes

Postby ronk » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:09 pm

re'born wrote:I didn't realize how important that which I've written is to me until it disappeared. I also didn't realize just how much I appreciate this community until I was no longer a part of it.

Your posts have been important to many of us ... and I'm very glad to see "the incident" didn't drive you away from this forum.:)
ronk
2012 Supporter
 
Posts: 4764
Joined: 02 November 2005
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: ...from the ashes

Postby re'born » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:56 pm

ronk wrote:
re'born wrote:I didn't realize how important that which I've written is to me until it disappeared. I also didn't realize just how much I appreciate this community until I was no longer a part of it.

Your posts have been important to many of us ... and I'm very glad to see "the incident" didn't drive you away from this forum.:)


Thanks Ron, I really appreciate that.:D The new baby coming this month might limit my activity, but I'll never let a little thing like having my name, account and history erased drive me away. Viva La Resistance!
re'born
 
Posts: 551
Joined: 31 May 2007

Postby Havard » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:18 pm

I saw what had happend. What a terrible thing! Glad to have you back!:)

Havard
Havard
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 25 December 2005

Postby udosuk » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:50 pm

Welcome back!:) And a cool new username too!:D
udosuk
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: 17 July 2005

Re: ...from the ashes

Postby Ocean » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:17 pm

Welcome back, rep'nA (or re'born)!
re'born wrote:Thanks to all of you who have gone out of your way to hunt down my old posts. In particular, udosuk, Ocean and Pat. You guys rock! I didn't realize how important that which I've written is to me until it disappeared. I also didn't realize just how much I appreciate this community until I was no longer a part of it.

I feel really sorry for this terrible cultural loss!

Here is a hint for finding many of the lost posts, if done immediately: Try Google search:
Code: Select all
"rep'nA" site:www.sudoku.com/forums
Retrieve the versions stored in the search engine before posts were lost (until May 28 or 29?) and make a local copy of them (Save As ...). Today such a search gives about 200 hits, many of which contain original posts now lost in the forum database.

Shortly the versions stored in Google (or other search engines) will be overwritten by the new version where posts are missing...

While some of the original writings still can be retrieved, I don't know how to insert them into the original threads in their proper order.

Recommendation: I have the habit of now and then taking a private backup of some of the threads with own contributions, something I would recommend to minimize the risk of loosing material. Even when forums like this one normally are very reliable and have few losses, we never know for sure with webpages. Material posted on the web is not guaranteed to be there forever, say in one, two, five, ten, twenty, hundred years. And we don't know in advance when it will be gone.
Ocean
 
Posts: 442
Joined: 29 August 2005

Postby re'born » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:45 am

udosuk wrote:Welcome back!:)


Thanks udosuk.:) It's great to be back.

udosuk wrote:And a cool new username too!:D


Thanks for noticing. It was the best way I could find to pay homage to that old UR lovin' bastard.

Ocean wrote:Here is a hint for finding many of the lost posts, if done immediately: Try Google search:
Code: Select all
"rep'nA" site:www.sudoku.com/forums
Retrieve the versions stored in the search engine before posts were lost (until May 28 or 29?) and make a local copy of them (Save As ...). Today such a search gives about 200 hits, many of which contain original posts now lost in the forum database.

Shortly the versions stored in Google (or other search engines) will be overwritten by the new version where posts are missing...

While some of the original writings still can be retrieved, I don't know how to insert them into the original threads in their proper order.

Recommendation: I have the habit of now and then taking a private backup of some of the threads with own contributions, something I would recommend to minimize the risk of loosing material. Even when forums like this one normally are very reliable and have few losses, we never know for sure with webpages. Material posted on the web is not guaranteed to be there forever, say in one, two, five, ten, twenty, hundred years. And we don't know in advance when it will be gone.


Thanks for the advice Ocean. I didn't know that Google stored versions of the pages. I did the search and I think your comment about how the versions will be updated shortly was pretty accurate. They already seem to be useless to me. But I definitely should take your advice in the future and back up some of the important threads, especially some of the excellent "Guides" we've created the last few years. It would be a shame, for instance, if Jeff's nice loop posts or the Ultimate Fish guide met up with an untimely demise.
re'born
 
Posts: 551
Joined: 31 May 2007

Postby Ocean » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:42 am

re'born wrote:Thanks for the advice Ocean. I didn't know that Google stored versions of the pages. I did the search and I think your comment about how the versions will be updated shortly was pretty accurate. They already seem to be useless to me.

I checked again, and as far as I could judge the majority is still 'intact' (several of the pages are last cached May27). Are you sure you clicked on the cashed versions of the pages?

Cached Links: Google takes a snapshot of each page examined as it crawls the web and caches these as a back-up in case the original page is unavailable. If you click on the "Cached" link, you will see the web page as it looked when we indexed it. The cached content is the content Google uses to judge whether this page is a relevant match for your query.

When the cached page is displayed, it will have a header at the top which serves as a reminder that this is not necessarily the most recent version of the page. Terms that match your query are highlighted on the cached version to make it easier for you to see why your page is relevant.

The "Cached" link will be missing for sites that have not been indexed, as well as for sites whose owners have requested we not cache their content.


And of course there are also other search engines...

re'born wrote:But I definitely should take your advice in the future and back up some of the important threads, especially some of the excellent "Guides" we've created the last few years. It would be a shame, for instance, if Jeff's nice loop posts or the Ultimate Fish guide met up with an untimely demise.
Agree! It would be a significant loss if some of these guides disappeared! I have not saved these threads systematically myself, because the chances are always high 'they will still be there tomorrow'.
Ocean
 
Posts: 442
Joined: 29 August 2005

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Would somebody please explain to me what is going on here, e.g. why rep'nA can't use his original account, etc? (I doubt if I'm the only one not in the know who would like to know.)

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota
 
Posts: 534
Joined: 11 February 2006

Postby Son of Pappocom » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:52 pm

Smythe Dakota wrote:Would somebody please explain to me what is going on here, e.g. why rep'nA can't use his original account, etc? (I doubt if I'm the only one not in the know who would like to know.)

Bill Smythe


Hi Bill,

For reasons unknown, rep'nA's account and posts disappeared a few days ago. He had updated his account profile, but that may simply be coincidence. There is no way that I am aware of for an account and posts to be spontaneously deleted, so I'm at a loss to explain (and therefore fix) it.

Regards
Scott
Son of Pappocom
 
Posts: 217
Joined: 10 October 2005

Postby re'born » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:28 pm

Ocean wrote:
re'born wrote:Thanks for the advice Ocean. I didn't know that Google stored versions of the pages. I did the search and I think your comment about how the versions will be updated shortly was pretty accurate. They already seem to be useless to me.

I checked again, and as far as I could judge the majority is still 'intact' (several of the pages are last cached May27). Are you sure you clicked on the cashed versions of the pages?

Cached Links: Google takes a snapshot of each page examined as it crawls the web and caches these as a back-up in case the original page is unavailable. If you click on the "Cached" link, you will see the web page as it looked when we indexed it. The cached content is the content Google uses to judge whether this page is a relevant match for your query.

When the cached page is displayed, it will have a header at the top which serves as a reminder that this is not necessarily the most recent version of the page. Terms that match your query are highlighted on the cached version to make it easier for you to see why your page is relevant.

The "Cached" link will be missing for sites that have not been indexed, as well as for sites whose owners have requested we not cache their content.


And of course there are also other search engines...



Ahh, now I get it. I went through about 11 pages on Google before it suspected that I was a computer virus (???). In any case, I obtained a fair cross section of my posts. Thankfully, since my theoretical contributions are rather minor, all we've lost are some uniqueness based solutions and some incredibly funny quips (trust me, they were hilarious). Thanks again, Ocean.
re'born
 
Posts: 551
Joined: 31 May 2007

Re: ...from the ashes

Postby wapati » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:12 am

re'born wrote:The one you know as rep'nA is no more.


Glad you are back!

I have a theory for why/what your new name means.:)

I often tried to theorize the signifigance of your former moniker.
What did "rep'nA" signify to you?
wapati
2010 Supporter
 
Posts: 527
Joined: 13 September 2006
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Re: ...from the ashes

Postby udosuk » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:40 am

wapati wrote:I often tried to theorize the signifigance of your former moniker.
What did "rep'nA" signify to you?

I'm not him, but I guess the former name was short for "representation A".
udosuk
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: 17 July 2005

Next

Return to Coffee bar