Do Old Posts Ever Die Or Get Deleted?

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Do Old Posts Ever Die Or Get Deleted?

Postby Yogi » Mon May 23, 2016 11:19 pm

It's true that many posts will remain relevant for years, but the Sudoku World does move on. And some of us might even be somewhat embarrassed by our earlier efforts.

The main aspect of this is the logistics of maintaining a record of the posts of an increasing membership and those members trying to find posts and information on the topics that interest them. We mostly haven't got time to read every post that was ever posted, and often we can't tell just from the title whether a given post has the stuff we are interested in.

We can limit ourselves to only looking at new posts, but we would miss out if we couild not get on the Net for a couple of weeks.

Really I'm asking what policy, proceedures & practices we have to manage and organise this ever-expanding library. Do members have input into this process?
Yogi
2017 Supporter

Re: Do Old Posts Ever Die Or Get Deleted?

Postby JasonLion » Tue May 24, 2016 1:10 am

Posts stay up "forever", except for very unusual situations. We lost a few years of posts when the previous site host went away, and I have found some ten year old spam and removed it, but essentially everything stays posted for as long as the site lasts (which should be quite some time).

Google search is your friend. Well crafted search strings will turn up just about anything that you might be looking for (at least if it is actually here).
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Postby Yogi » Tue May 24, 2016 4:12 am

OK Thanx
Yogi
2017 Supporter

Postby Smythe Dakota » Thu May 26, 2016 11:56 pm

In a few cases, an old post had a diagram with it, but the diagram is no longer there because of a switch to a new server or something.

I remember one (I'm too lazy to look for it), which involved a jigsaw Sudoku (9x9) where the only digits allowed were 1, 2, and 3. There were to be three of each in each row, column, and jigsaw piece.

The poster wanted some help getting started. I managed to find a way to get the ball rolling, and replied something to the effect of:

Well, I can see one thing. There must be 3's in two of r5c3, r5c7, r5c9. But the latter two cannot both be 3's, so r5c3 must be a 3.

The original poster thanked me and went on to solve the puzzle. But the diagram isn't there anymore, so nobody can figure out what it was all about.

Google that!

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby JasonLion » Fri May 27, 2016 12:02 am

That is what often happens when the image is a link to an image on another server.

Occasionally the way back machine has a copy missing images, though far from always and it is a bit tedious to check.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Postby enxio27 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:36 am

JasonLion wrote:That is what often happens when the image is a link to an image on another server.

That's one of the reasons that I collected all of Ruud's specialty puzzles, and uploaded them in several places.
enxio27

Postby Pat » Sun May 29, 2016 10:12 am

Yogi wrote:---trying to find posts and information on the topics that interest them.
We mostly haven't got time to read every post that was ever posted---

several Stickys
attempt to provide some indexing of important discussionsand Solving without pencilmarks
is important enough that it was made Sticky too
Pat

Return to Forum questions and feedback