A different log in problem

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

A different log in problem

Postby 999_Springs » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:08 pm

Last weekend I logged on, then logged out by accident. I logged on a second time, but I logged out by accident again. I tried to log on a third time, but the computer would not log me on. I certainly did not type in my password incorrectly.

Why is this?
999_Springs

Postby udosuk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:55 am

What I know is the system will automatically log you off when you don't click anything on the forum for 15 mins or so... I hate this feature (especially when I need to read or type a long message) but it seems it's there for security reasons and I don't think we can do anything about it...:(
udosuk

Postby ronk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:52 am

udosuk wrote:the system will automatically log you off when you don't click anything on the forum for 15 mins or so...

If you're talking about this site, that has never happened to me ... even when remaining logged on overnight.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby udosuk » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:45 am

ronk wrote:If you're talking about this site, that has never happened to me ... even when remaining logged on overnight.

That's interesting...:!: Perhaps you were registered as a VIP member?:D

Another possibility is you check the "Log me on automatically each visit" box... I never use this feature... Typing password in is a must-do habit for me...:)
udosuk

Postby ronk » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:30 am

udosuk wrote:Another possibility is you check the "Log me on automatically each visit" box...

I do. There's really no security to lose for a computer at home, so why not make use of the convenience?
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby Son of Pappocom » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:24 pm

Ronk: Again, my best guess is a cookie issue. Please try clearing your cookies (or just cookie for sudoku.com, if you prefer).

Udosuk: The cookie that keeps you logged into a single session should be maintained as long as your browser window is open. Server session limits are often 15 or 20 minutes but cookies are not subject to that unless by design. I don't have an explanation for why you would be logged out for idle time.
Son of Pappocom

Postby ronk » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Son of Pappocom wrote:Ronk: Again, my best guess is a cookie issue. Please try clearing your cookies (or just cookie for sudoku.com, if you prefer).

No problem here, so I think you meant that for 999_Springs.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby Son of Pappocom » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:38 pm

So I did!
Son of Pappocom

Postby 999_Springs » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:04 pm

Son Of Pappocom wrote:Again, my best guess is a cookie issue. Please try clearing your cookies (or just cookie for sudoku.com, if you prefer).

How do I do that?
999_Springs

Postby Son of Pappocom » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:59 pm

It depends on your browser -- try searching your browser's Help feature for instructions, or let me know what browser you use and I can give you a step-by-step.

Regards
Scott
Son of Pappocom

Postby 999_Springs » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:30 pm

Recently I have noticed that the forums log me out sometimes if I click on a hyperlink inside a post. The problem only happens with hyperlinks inside posts.

Is this also a cookie issue? I have not cleared my cookies yet.
999_Springs

Postby Son of Pappocom » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:04 am

I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine -- never heard of that one before! I can't see how it would be a cookie issue, but I also can't see why it would be happening at all.

Regards
Scott
Son of Pappocom

Postby 999_Springs » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:03 pm

It only happens with certain hyperlinks. For example, in the General/puzzle forum there is a topic "ER ratings" and there is a hyperlink at the bottom which says "summing-up the various steps". Every time I click on that it logs me out.

So could it be a problem with the hyperlink?
999_Springs

Postby MCC » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:30 am

999_Spring are you sure you'll being logged out?

When you click on a hyperlink it opens up in a new window, are you closing this window to return you to the original page?

Check how many tabs there are in the bottom bar, right at the bottom of the screen.

There should be more than one, the second tab is for the new window, you can right click on this tab and then click close.

MCC
MCC

Postby 999_Springs » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:57 pm

When I click on the link, the new window opens up, and I know that I have just been logged out because there is always the "Log in" message at the top of the screen and there is a message at the bottom of the screen (of the new window) which says: