World Championship

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

re: Australia

Postby Pat » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:37 pm

udosuk wrote:For some reason Australia decided not to participate

rather the reverse -- Australia did not decided to participate

in order to participate, someone has to take positive action -- to organize a qualifying tournament etc.

have you formed an Australian SuDoku Committee?

~ Pat
Pat

Re: re: Australia

Postby udosuk » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:48 pm

Pat wrote:have you formed an Australian SuDoku Committee?

Checked out the World Puzzle Federation, the Australian member is some company based in Western Australia... Looks like the East-siders don't give a damn...

It's a lot of time & effort to organise a tournament etc, or form a committee from scratch... Not likely a personal job, but rather for some organisations such as clubs or universities...
udosuk

Postby motris » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:55 pm

I'll post my own WSC report on my blog (motris.livejournal.com) soon and link to it here when I do.

The WSC in Prague was a very well run and increasingly tight competition with a lot of talented sudokuists that were not at the first WSC. The Times has the "final" puzzle in print today, but as the playoff rounds were split into two puzzles each, the puzzle that actually determined the championship was a tough diagonal puzzle, with me finishing in ~ 8 minutes and runner-up Yuhei Kusui of Japan having 27 cells left to fill when the 10 minute limit ran up. As noted in the report, I took extra caution in solving the last puzzle as making a huge mistake and not finishing it was the only way I'd lose, so the "five minute" standard is a bit generous.

I'll post the diagonal puzzle here if it is not elsewhere in the next day but first I need to find a copy. I also hope the video of all the solvers during the finals comes up soon as I think it is really compelling to watch how the best sudoku solvers approach some of these puzzles. I'm pleased to say, throughout the whole competition, I never ran into a moment I felt guessing and checking would be advantageous to logic, which was my one regret on the final puzzle last year.
motris

World Sudoku Championship 3 (2008)

Postby Pat » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:08 am

World Sudoku Championship 3

2008.Apr.14-17

Goa, India
Pat

Re: World Sudoku Championship 3 (2008)

Postby tarek » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:34 am

Pat wrote:[list]
World Sudoku Championship 3
2008.Apr.14-17

congrats to thomas Snyder....

From the article, this caught my eye

Times Online wrote:The Australian team came last - hardly surprising, given that only one of the four players had done a Sudoku puzzle before this week. Calling themselves the Numbats, the team of rugby mates from the University of Western Australia Club in Perth managed to get sponsorship to come to Goa and were the first team to wear blazers and flip-flops. They made up for their lack of success by winning all the drinking competitions (hardly surprising as they were the only team taking part). Mark Skiffington, 39, the team captain, said: “We are proud to have represented our country.”

tarek
tarek

Personality Quiz

Postby Pat » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:34 am

Pat

Previous

Return to General