Why not Head-To-Head Sudoku!!!

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Why not Head-To-Head Sudoku!!!

Postby KenWhitaker » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:14 pm

Any programmers out there??? We need a GAME version. Two players racing to fill a grid, with penalties if you place an incorrect number. Or maybe one minute to take a turn or you lose your turn. Just like chess on yahoo or pogo... Ratings, points, skill levels, etc.
KenWhitaker

Postby NorwegianViking » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:09 pm

You can play a computer here:
http://www.menneske.no/sudokuto/eng/
Not quite the rules you asked for, but quite fun anyway.
NorwegianViking

Postby KenWhitaker » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:51 am

thanks for the link. I tried it. Filling in a blank form is different.

I still think a game version could be fun. I've been thinking about it since my original post.

When a game starts, it would be both players' turn. Whoever can find the first number can place it.

But when you place a number, the other player's board locks up for 15 seconds. This is so that if you resolve a pair, or a longer chain, that you can get credit for all of it.

And you pencil marks would be your little secret. And you can still place pencil marks while your board is locked up against taking more turns.

Thanks for the reply! Now, if we can only get a thousand more replies, maybe someone would develop this game.

Thanks
Ken Whitaker
KenWhitaker

Postby djkucha » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:22 am

Great ideas! I wonder if you could also have a competitive version where you play for money?:D

Sort of like those "skill games" on World Winner where you have a $1 entry fee or something to compete in a game with up to 5 other players, and then the winner takes the $5 pot (or $4.50 after the site takes their cut)...

I'm not sure how you would deal with people using solving software to cheat though...

DJ
djkucha

Postby KenWhitaker » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:39 am

aint that the truth! cheaters spoil everything.

i don't think you need money to make it interesting.

i play chess all the time, for free, just for the fun of it. and yes, there are cheaters, even with no money on the line. what's the point? what do these people get out of it???

Ken
KenWhitaker

Postby annie2305 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:32 pm

yeh that is a rele gd idea i could rele get in to that
annie2305

Postby Partialartist » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:56 pm

Partialartist

Form Professional Sudoku Association

Postby bente » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:10 am

djkucha wrote:Great ideas! I wonder if you could also have a competitive version where you play for money?:D

Sort of like those "skill games" on World Winner where you have a $1 entry fee or something to compete in a game with up to 5 other players, and then the winner takes the $5 pot (or $4.50 after the site takes their cut)...

I'm not sure how you would deal with people using solving software to cheat though...

DJ

Great idea! Set up professional body like the PGA for golf.
Hold live tournaments to beat software cheats.
A regulatory professional organisation is the concrete way for sudoku to move forward.

bente
bente

Postby benjam » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:18 am

benjam

Postby Pi » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:00 pm

I have used sudokucombat.com and enjoy it although i often find (especialy on hard puzzles) that the other player may get bored and dissapear, which is a shame.
Pi

head to head challange

Postby breath » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:03 am

have you tried www.daily-sudoku.org ?
breath

Return to Forum questions and feedback