Where Are The Numbers?

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Where Are The Numbers?

Postby Liza » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:48 am

The example and the instructions make reference to a number bar. I'm guessing that in order to play this will be a drag-and-drop operation from the reference to a Number Bar in the directions. I can't find any Number Bar, in fact all I can see is the puzzle from a given day and the solution, but not a way to actually play. I've downloaded the prerequisites properly (I think) but I must have missed some step that will make the game interactive, or playable.

Is there a clue I can follow so that I can play? Some file I am missing perhaps?
Liza

Postby Pappocom » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:38 am

Hello Liza.

The Number Bar is the toolbar near the top of the window - the toolbar with numbers 1 to 9 in it. You can see what it should look like on this page: http://www.sudoku.com/howtouse.htm . In fact, it might be helpful to read the text on that page as well.

It's not strictly a "drag-and-drop" operation, because you don't have to keep the mouse button down. It's more of a "click once and re-click many" operation.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the puzzle from a given day". When you use the Sudoku program, the puzzles are not from any particular day, nor from any particular publication. All the puzzles are original, and you can get a new one by pressing the New button.

Please re-post if I have not understood the problem properly, or if you want more advice.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Thank You

Postby Liza » Sun May 01, 2005 11:47 pm

Thank you. I'm enjoying the downloaded version of the game, in which the number bar and interactive click and re-click, erase, and everything else is just fine - except of course that after a few games, I can see that this will be not only devlishly difficult but addictive. Just what I was told - its a marvelous challenge and one is always seeking for one of those!

I was sent to this forum via a link from The London Times on-line edition I subscribe to. The Times version of Sudoku, althugh it shows a daily game and later the solution, does not permit me to see the number bar or to play the game. It is not interactive. The newspaper version says to download and or puchase the software, which I have done, in order to be able to participate in The Times' daily version. This is what occasioned my question: although I have done everything The Times site says is required, on their site there is no number bar or any way to play the game. The downloaded version works perfectly but the version from the newspaper's site doesn't work at all.

Thanks very much for responding to my question. It looks to me however that the inababilty to play the game on the Times site is better addressed to someone at the Times site than it is here. The Times site sent me to this site, which is why I enquired here. It looks as if I shall have to find a way to ask the newspaper site directly about why one can't play the daily games online. Many thanks for your response.
Liza

Postby Pappocom » Mon May 02, 2005 5:24 am

Hi Liza. Oh, I see. I confirm that The Times online display of the puzzle is not interactive.

Liza wrote:The newspaper version says to download and or puchase the software

I'm not familiar with that message. Is that in the newspaper, you say? Or is it in the Online newspaper version?

- Wayne
Pappocom

Return to Forum questions and feedback