What's wrong with XY-loops?

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Re: What's wrong with XY-loops?

Postby eleven » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:32 pm

SpAce wrote: I guess that means ArtoI can make any claims he wants as long as he makes it clear that he's using his own ranking system which is just one of many.

Do i really have to repeat myself ? Arto's sin was, that he did not publish his rating system (a big sin for a mathematician). You can be very sure, that also according to that a lot of forum puzzles were harder.
It is not true, that ratings are just a matter of taste, especially not for very hard puzzles. What has been done here was to investigate, how hard puzzles are to solve, which are high rated from this or that rating system.

PS: You might have noticed, that champagne calls his list "potentially hardest puzzles". We are all aware, that there can be different points of view. But you can be sure, that a rating, which suggests, that a puzzle is the hardest, which is not top 1000 in this list, is not trustable.
eleven

Postby tarek » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Here is a link that shows the closest explanation to ArtoI's rating system. According to his rating, on Oct 3rd 2006 AI Escargot is the top rated puzzle (only by 5 points :D )

http://www.aisudoku.com/en/AIwME.html

tarek
tarek

Postby SpAce » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:31 am

eleven, I'm really not arguing anything to the contrary. My point was purely philosophical, if anything. I'd be happy to see the record set straight. After this discussion started, I actually prompted a friendly reporter to investigate this issue. Unfortunately I didn't get any promises.
SpAce

Previous

Return to Advanced solving techniques