What is this variant?

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

What is this variant?

Postby enxio27 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:54 am

Anyone familiar with this variant? What do the Xs and the Vs represent? (I can't read any instructions.)

http://en.oubk.com/sudoku/VXSudoku-3x3- ... &is_next=1
enxio27

Re: What is this variant?

Postby enxio27 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:18 am

Well, I found the answer to my own question. From anypuzzle.com:

Sudoku XV combines classic Sudoku with 'v' and 'x' Roman numeral markers which indicate that touching pairs of squares sum to either 5 or 10 respectively.

All possible pairs which sum to either 5 or 10 are marked, so if there is no 'v' and no 'x' then two squares do not sum to either 5 or 10.

Meh. Not a fan of puzzles that require more math than simple comparisons. Not that I hate math (my degree is in math), but I do sudoku to relax (usually before bed), and incorporating math into my sudoku is not relaxing to me.
enxio27

Postby Smythe Dakota » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:18 am

Even before reading your second post, I strongly suspected that X and V stood for 10 and 5, respectively.

enxio27 wrote: .... Not a fan of puzzles that require more math than simple comparisons. ....

I guess you wouldn't like Kakuro, then.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby enxio27 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Smythe Dakota wrote:I guess you wouldn't like Kakuro, then.

No, not really. Not a fan of Killer sudoku, either, although I've dabbled in a few. They're ok for a very occasional change of pace (when I'm not trying to go to sleep), but otherwise, no.
enxio27

Return to Sudoku variants