What happened to my user ID?

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

What happened to my user ID?

Postby boweasel » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:06 pm

I've posted to this forum a number of times over the past year, yet when I tried to log-in today I( got a msg that said my user ID and/or password were incorrect (I honestly forget the exact wording).

So I entered my user ID and hit the lost password button. I was directed to the screen where I put in my user ID and email address. I then got a msg saying that my email address did not match my user ID.

What??

So I sorted the member names by user ID, and after many, many pages, I come to the spot that should contain my user ID....

And... it ain't there.

So I re-register, using the exact same user ID, password and email address, and it seems to work perfectly...

So what happened? I couldn't even post a msg without logging in. (I used to be able to post a msg as a 'guest, but when I tried it today, I was directed to the sign-in screen. And of course, I couldn't sign-in... there's a Catch-22 in there somewhere).
boweasel

Postby Smythe Dakota » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:11 am

And the auto login STILL doesn't work, even though I have mentioned this fact several times.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby Pappocom » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:19 am

I'm sorry if you are having problems.

Just in case there's any confusion, let me mention that phpBB is not a Pappocom product - that is, it has nothing to do with Sudoku, except that we at Pappocom use the 3rd party program phpBB for this forum. We are - like you - users of someone else's program.

We are not a service center for phpBB, and if there are any major issues with phpBB, you would need to address your concerns to the phpBB folk. If there are minor set-up problems which we (as users) can correct, we do our best to do so.

Scott will address these issues, as soon as he gets off the plane which is taking him from Los Angeles to Auckland!

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Smythe Dakota » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:54 am

Pappocom wrote:.... let me mention that phpBB is not a Pappocom product .... we at Pappocom use the 3rd party program phpBB for this forum. ....

True, but different users may be using phpBB in different ways. www.uschess.org/forums also uses phpBB, and auto login works fine. So, likely, there's something this forum is doing differently to cause the problems -- maybe doing something a little too complicated, thus running afoul of a bug in phpBB?

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby Son of Pappocom » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:28 pm

The original poster's situation is certainly curious. Unfortunately there's not much digging I can do if the new account shares the name of the old account -- any clues as to why the old one disappeared will likely have been overwritten with the creation of the new.

Bill's continuing auto-login problem... I have had similar things on other forums (as a member) myself over the years. The auto-login works by placing a small "cookie" file on your computer that identifies you as you arrive. The standard technique to solve this sort of issue is to clear your browser's cache and cookie collection, but I think we've tried that before in your case.

There is nothing odd about our phpBB as such -- we're running a completely stock installation. The fault is almost certainly some slight disparity with your computer and our server -- have you tried another physical machine? That would at least indicate whether it's more on our end than yours.

Regards
Scott
Son of Pappocom

Postby Smythe Dakota » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:10 am

Son of Pappocom wrote:.... The standard technique to solve this sort of issue is to clear your browser's cache and cookie collection ....

I don't have the slightest idea how to do either of those things, nor do I want to, as erasing cookies will likely cause problems with other websites, such as the US Chess forums, that I visit frequently.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Return to Forum questions and feedback