Does an event involve competitors from more than one Country:?:

Does each event take place in a different Country:?:

Does each event take place in a different year:?:

Are the numbers, position related:?:

Are the numbers, score related:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Cec wrote:I'll say Wimbledon as the annual event.
Cec
I did mentioned "3 English words"...

MCC:
Is it a sports event:?: Yes

Does an event involve competitors from more than one Country:?: Yes

Does each event take place in a different Country:?: Yes

Does each event take place in a different year:?: No

Are the numbers, position related:?: No

Are the numbers, score related:?: No

Explain the numbers even if you can spot the obvious (:?:) answer...
udosuk

Postby MCC » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:33 pm

I've no idea at the present, I'm just trying to narrow things down.

How about - The Iron Man

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:50 pm

MCC wrote:How about - The Iron Man
No... nor "The Iron Woman"...

There is no article ("a", "an", "the") in the answer...
udosuk

Postby udosuk » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:19 pm

MCC wrote:Are the numbers, position related:?:

On hindsight this should be a Yes... I've mistaken the meaning of "position" for something else... If you meant "location" then the answer is Yes... Sorry for any confusion...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:43 pm

I posted this originally.

Is it "The World Cup"?
If so, now to figure out the numbers.
Do the numbers have anything to do with relative times?

I just noticed the World Cup doesn't start til Friday.
Last edited by Hud on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hud

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:54 pm

Hello there! I was just writing to introduce myself and take a look around...well not literallyof course!...that's impossible!HA!HA!HA! My name is Mr. Sudoku, I am quite intrigued by your post, could you please explain this game to me and then I may be tempted to reveal a game of my country, "nip tong".

Postby tarek » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:07 pm

I was tempted to say Tennis, with the 4 events being the Slams....The numbers I hoped would correspond to Time Zones Compared to GMT but that doesn't work, it might work if we compare the time zones to some time zone in Australia

+1 Australian Open
+10 US Open
-8 French Open (Current)
-9 Wimbledon

tarek
tarek

Postby underquark » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:18 pm

Volvo Ocean Race?
underquark

Postby udosuk » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:58 am

tarek got it right. The answer is "Tennis Grand Slams" or "Grand Slam Tournaments" (but the latter could be confused with the Golf ones)...

The numbers are indeed time differences, relative to the standard Eastern time in Australia. Paris and London are 8 & 9 hours behind respectively, and New York is 14 hours behind, or effectively 10 hours ahead less a day. Melbourne is in the same time zone but when the Aussie Open is held, the Daylight Saving is on so the time is effectively 1 hour ahead.

It's handy for us as a time zone reminder - Roland Garros, Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows are 8, 9, 10 hrs apart from us respectively. As for ahead of behind, just remember that in terms of Davis Cups success, US is the only one ahead of us while France and Britain are behind...

Well done tarek!:D
udosuk

Postby tarek » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:26 pm

Ah Finally, Game, Set & Match ....... Apparantly it's the Grass season next.........

By the way several countries in the world have their times adjusted NOT by a whole number of hours away from GMT, I've seen some use x & 1/2 hours away & some even x & 3/4 away (strange world).... some nice stories about this time zone difference....

tarek
tarek

Postby udosuk » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:53 pm

I see you guys can't wait for the Wimbledon, especially when Tiger Tim was knocked out early...:D But Lleyton Hewitt, the last Aussie in the draw just got trounced by Nadal today, so I guess we're on the same boat here... Bring on the grass... Words are that this Andy Murray boy is quite good... Let's see if he could bring the trophy to you guys...:)

But of course before (and during) that, all focus are pointing toward Germany...

PS: About the half-hourly time zone, Adelaide (South Australia) is 9:30 (or 10:30 in summer) GMT... So one of the weird phenomena you mentioned happens in my country...:D
udosuk

Postby underquark » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:25 pm

If you thought that Adelaide etc. with their ½-hour time difference was confusing:

Daylight Saving Time was mentioned by Benjamin Franklin in an essay in 1784 but it wasn't until the first part of the 20th Century that it became widely adopted in its current form (Brittish Summer Time etc.). To begin with, Britain added a total of 80 minutes in four 20-minute installments before deciding that one hour was easier.

Some parts of the world (mostly towards the middle bit of the globe) don't observe daylight saving time; the US state of Arizona is one such place. The Navajo territory - which straddles the corners of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado - does observe DST, but the Hopi territory (which is entirely enclosed by the Navajo territory) doesn't.
underquark

Next

Return to Coffee bar