What am I? (7)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby MCC » Thu May 11, 2006 2:31 pm

udosuk wrote:If the Earth was a global phenomenon since 500BC, then the answer would be Hemisphere...
But of course this is not the case...

Hemisphere is the right answer.

You're going to argue about this, but remember you got the right answer.

I didn't want to make it too easy, I wanted to introduce the idea of the World, a sphere or a globe therefore global with the idea of a round earth rather than a flat earth, an idea that would have been much debated then.

If I had seperated Global and Phenomenon, you may have cottoned on a lot sooner.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Thu May 11, 2006 2:53 pm

MCC wrote:A half is larger than a whole one.

I thought this comment would invaidate my guess of Hemisphere, unless you were referring to word length...

MCC wrote:You're going to argue about this, but remember you got the right answer.

Not so much as "arguing", just like to comment that many other attempts are more ingenious and intriguing than my "right" answer, for example Ruud's last couple...:)

See, sometimes even if you think you're wrong it wouldn't hurt to try, you just never know...:D
udosuk

Postby Ruud » Thu May 11, 2006 3:26 pm

udosuk wrote:Not so much as "arguing", just like to comment that many other attempts are more ingenious and intriguing than my "right" answer, for example Ruud's last couple...

While we were chasing the quaffle for a few points, you caught the Golden Snitch! Good work!:D
Ruud

Postby emm » Thu May 11, 2006 6:50 pm

Yes good work udosduk. I don't really care about the points. This is all going to pay off the day I get to go on 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire!'
emm

Postby RW » Thu May 11, 2006 7:51 pm

emm wrote:This is all going to pay off the day I get to go on 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire!'

I've already been there. The qualifying question for the seat in the middle was: "Starting from the tallest, sort the following teletubbies by length". Guess if I became a millionaire...?

RW
Last edited by RW on Fri May 12, 2006 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby udosuk » Fri May 12, 2006 7:36 am

Ruud wrote:While we were chasing the quaffle for a few points, you caught the Golden Snitch! Good work!:D

Thanks! I guess everybody needs some quidditch moment...:D
udosuk

Postby MCC » Sat May 13, 2006 8:36 am

Thought I would bring together the pieces of underquark's riddle.

underquark wrote:Explain how it came to be that a Russian battleship ended up in the Moon and a German battleship ended up on the Moon but not in the same place.

MCC wrote:For the first part:
The Battleship Kaiser amongst others were part of - Operation Albion: The Attack on the Baltic Islands - One of the Islands is called Muhu or Moon, Moon sound being a passage way between two islands.

For the second part:
As a guess, the name of a german battleship and the name of a lunar landing vehicle are the same. But what that name is I'm not sure.

underquark wrote:OK, I'll give you the first part. The Russian vessel Slava was outgunned (and I mean literally - they had 12" guns) by the Germans and was scuttled in Moon Sound. But how did a scuttled German battleship end up on the moon? Hint - it ended up not in the same place but if you find a single word that literally means "in the same place" this will give you a big clue.

MCC
MCC

Postby emm » Sun May 14, 2006 5:49 am

RW wrote:I've already been there.

RW, have you read "Q & A' by Vikas Swarup - the story of a young Indian waiter who wins a quiz show and a billion dollars. It’s a great read.

underquark wrote:But how did a scuttled German battleship end up on the moon?

For this I would go with Bismarck – were they a bit complacent? Is the undersea volcano it landed on called Moon something?
emm

Previous

Return to Coffee bar