What am I? (33)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby MCC » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:08 am

Sorry about that Mike, I've edited the post.
I was in a bit of a rush; a funeral to attend and I would have been out all day.

MCC
MCC

Postby mikejapan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:37 pm

Democracy in the Midle East?

The Iraq War?

Big Brother?

Pulp Fiction?

Star Wars?

The Mobius Strip?

The age of Aquarius?

The year of the dog?

The Patriot Act?

Captain Scarlet?

NSPD 51?
mikejapan

Postby udosuk » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:03 am

MCC wrote:My beginning is the ending of others.

Instead of taking a huge load of random guesses, let's get to the correct interpretation to the fundamental basics first.

"My beginning" is referring to the start of a certain thing (which is definitely not a human/animal as MCC pointed out). So it's either a physical object or an abstract concept. Which is it?:?:

By "ending" it should mean "termination". There are several types of "termination". For example, "end of story" or "end of project" means some abstract concept is completed. On the other hand "end" could also apply to physical objects, such as "dying" if the object has a life, or simply disappearing/destroyed it's just a lifeless thing.

And "of others", does it mean "of all others" or "of some others but not all"?:?:

And these "others", are they the same type as the main subject referred to in "my beginning"?:?:

As an example, a black hole is the ending of everything in its proximity, but these things are not the same type of the main subject, namely the "black hole".

Or in similar context "apocalypse" is the ending of everything in this world.

On the other hand, some things are applied to terminate other things of the same type. For example, the shut down process of an operating system is used to terminate all other processes running at that time. So the "beginning" of this process is the "ending" of all other processes.

Is one of these examples the correct interpretation of that riddle (or along the right line), and which one is the closest to your intended answer?:?:

I hope MCC can take some time answering all these, instead of a simple unhelpful "yes" or "no".:!:
udosuk

Postby mikejapan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:28 am

Is the answer to this puzzle, "the answer to this puzzle"?
mikejapan

Postby MCC » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:26 am

mikejapan wrote:Democracy in the Midle East?

The Iraq War?

Big Brother?

Pulp Fiction?

Star Wars?

The Mobius Strip?

The age of Aquarius?

The year of the dog?

The Patriot Act?

Captain Scarlet?

NSPD 51?

None of the above.

A Mobius Strip has no beginning; therefore no ending. (With no beginning does a Mobius Strip therefore exist?).

In answer to udosuk's questions:
It is a physical object.

Of some "others" but not all others.

The main subject is not of the same type as the "others".

It is not a negative feedback system.

udosuk wrote:Is one of these examples the correct interpretation of that riddle (or along the right line), and which one is the closest to your intended answer?

I suppose the nearest would be:
udosuk wrote:By "ending" it should mean "termination". There are several types of "termination". For example, "end of story" or "end of project" means some abstract concept is completed. On the other hand "end" could also apply to physical objects, such as "dying" if the object has a life, or simply disappearing/destroyed it's just a lifeless thing.

Mikejapan wrote:Is the answer to this puzzle, "the answer to this puzzle"?

It is not.

udosuk wrote:I hope MCC can take some time answering all these, instead of a simple unhelpful "yes" or "no".

I had already taken this on board before loggin on today. I realised I should be expanding on my answers.

MCC
MCC

Postby mikejapan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:04 pm

Is it anything to do with individual items (plural) joining together to make one group (singular)? The individual items would still exist but be classed as being part of a new entity eg; 50,000 individuals go to a footy match and become a crowd.
mikejapan

Postby MCC » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:52 pm

mikejapan wrote:Is it anything to do with individual items (plural) joining together to make one group (singular)? The individual items would still exist but be classed as being part of a new entity eg; 50,000 individuals go to a footy match and become a crowd.

The "What am I:?: " subject is distinct, it exists as an individual item, although it can be thought of as part of an entity.

MCC
MCC

Postby Para » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:08 pm

What about the universe?

Started with a Big Bang and a Big Bang can be the ending of others(being blown up).

Para
Para

Postby udosuk » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:30 pm

MCC wrote:It is a physical object.

If it's a physical object, how come you used the word "beginning"? What does the "beginning" of a physical object (assuming lifeless) means? The manufacturing? The edge?

If the latter, an example would be "the blade of a knife/cutter/pair of scissors", which creates "ends" of various other objects cut by the tool. Is this close to your intended answer?
udosuk

Postby MCC » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:08 pm

Para wrote:What about the universe?

Started with a Big Bang and a Big Bang can be the ending of others(being blown up).

It's not the universe Para, but, in general, you're more likely to see more of the universe than of the "subject"

udosuk wrote:
MCC wrote:It is a physical object.

If it's a physical object, how come you used the word "beginning"? What does the "beginning" of a physical object (assuming lifeless) means? The manufacturing? The edge?

If the latter, an example would be "the blade of a knife/cutter/pair of scissors", which creates "ends" of various other objects cut by the tool. Is this close to your intended answer?

udosuk you've made an assumption that has lead you down the wrong path.
This physical object can be touched, but not by you or I.
It is not lifeless but has no life.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:20 pm

MCC, is this another astronomy-related riddle?

Could it be a certain asteroid that upon hitting the planet Earth would mean the end of us?

Added later:

Could it be related to the dwarf planet Pluto which in Greek mythology corresponds to Hades, meaning the hell (where some will end up in)?
udosuk

Postby mikejapan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:35 am

Eris?
mikejapan

Postby MCC » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:18 am

There is nothing astronomical about the "subject" at all.
It is more down to earth.
Although it is large, it is smaller than you are.

MCC
MCC

Postby tarek » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:07 pm

"hersal" apparantly is type of compressed file of some sort.......:!:

"Thersites" would have been a good candidate is it was a "who am I" riddle.

On another tangent, Unless you've seen udosuk, I would say that the word we're after is <6 letters long:D

tarek
tarek

Postby MCC » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:54 pm

tarek wrote:"hersal" apparantly is type of compressed file of some sort.......:!:

It's nothing to do with computer software or hardware.

tarek wrote:"Thersites" would have been a good candidate is it was a "who am I" riddle.

There's nothing stopping you from presenting a "Who; What; Where; Why; am I" tarek:D

tarek wrote:On another tangent, Unless you've seen udosuk, I would say that the word we're after is <6 letters long:D

Letters not proceed along your line of thinking:D
The answer comprises two words. One <6 letters, one >6 letters.

Edit: 25/06/07
This appears to got you stumped, so a further two clues:
1 - The "subject" is wetter at the beginning than at the end.
2 - Over 700 species inhabit the "subject".

MCC
MCC

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar