What am I? (25)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby emm » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:59 am

Sorry, Tarek but I am about to burn past you.:D

The Hindenberg was a burst balloon, in a manner of speaking.

A Zeppelin was shot down over a little village in Suffolk in 1917.

There’s an Atmospheric Research Station at Zeppelin Mountain near the world's most northern settlement in Norway. It got it’s name because anyone who stayed there for 12 months thought 'Hell, that was a long year by enyone’s standards'.

I don't think it is the Zeppelin but I'm on the right track.
emm

Postby coloin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:14 am

Na...Ive got it:D

The worlds my oyster...

C
coloin

Postby tarek » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:08 am

emm wrote:Sorry, Tarek but I am about to burn past you.

Burning through the sky, yeah 200 degrees that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit.

Any way, how can I be wrong:!::?: ........

Long year=Leap year=366=Satellite code for MARTINIQUE
en=ENGLAND
Long year by en=Martinique by England=France
The Bertons+France=Lorraine
Lorraine+Balloon=Captain Charles Lorraine
Captain Charles Lorraine died after crashing a balloon over Christchurch, NZ.......
Christchurch,NZ=Jade Stadium=Rugby & Cricket world cups.....:D

tarek
tarek

Postby MCC » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:46 am

Very nice conclusion tarek but no cigar:(

Top marks go to emm for her correct illumination of the riddle:D

What happens to a balloon that bursts, it collapses in on itself:idea: so:

"Long year by en" - becomes Longyearbyen, capital of Svalbard.

And "The berton" - becomes Theberton a village in Suffolk.

The answer is "Mount Zeppelin".

Talking about airships:
wiki wrote:The R101 Airship was a British airship that crashed on October 5, 1930 in France during its maiden voyage, killing 48 people. It was one of the worst airship disasters, along with the Hindenburg disaster that coloured international public opinion of lighter-than-air craft and effectively ended British employment of rigid airships.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R101

MCC
MCC

Postby emm » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:15 pm

Sounds like Tarek was on an inflammable substance and had a combustible experience:D

Thanks for giving me the prize, MCC, although I hadn’t really honed in on the answer - I just saw the Zeppelin connection.

If we’d interpreted your response to Cec’s suggestion of an airship correctly in the first place, someone would have got there quicker - but then I wouldn’t have learnt all that geology.
emm

Postby tarek » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:33 pm

emm wrote:Sounds like Tarek was on an inflammable substance and had a combustible experience:D

Thanks for giving me the prize, MCC, although I hadn’t really honed in on the answer - I just saw the Zeppelin connection.
If u were following a zeppelin lead, why not choose KASHMIR:?::!: , Led Zeppelin can be argued to be a burst balloon.....

By the way, I always thought that the reason behind the failure of these airships was HYDROGEN, rather than a bad safety track record.......

tarek
tarek

Postby MCC » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:26 am

emm wrote:...Thanks for giving me the prize, MCC, although I hadn’t really honed in on the answer - I just saw the Zeppelin connection.

I think you did enough to warrant the award and that it would be pedantic not to do so.

emm wrote:...If we’d interpreted your response to Cec’s suggestion of an airship correctly in the first place, someone would have got there quicker - but then I wouldn’t have learnt all that geology.

Cec's questions were too insightful, and since he was the first to post I had to phrase my reply so as to not give anything away or else the riddle would have been solved too quickly.

tarek wrote:By the way, I always thought that the reason behind the failure of these airships was HYDROGEN, rather than a bad safety track record.......

That is true, Hydrogen is very inflammable/flammable, Helium would be a better option.

MCC
MCC

Previous

Return to Coffee bar