What am I? (22)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

What am I? (22)

Postby MCC » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:51 pm

A relatively easy one or is it:?:

A member of these girl singers married the captain of the English football team.

What was their first "official" hit:?:

And who got married:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:10 pm

I'm going to leave the most obvious answer as it is guaranteed to be wrong...

If Ashley Cole is gonna be the captain of the English men's football team, then the answer is Cheryl Cole (nee Tweedy) from Girls Aloud, with the 1st hit being "Sound of the Underground"...

If Jamie Redknapp had been the captain of the English men's football team (which I wasn't aware), then the answer is Louise Redknapp (nee Nurding) from Eternal, with the 1st hit being "Stay"...

Or it was a singer in the 60s/70s/80s or even earlier times, which I have no access to the info...

Incidentally, the first wife of Bobby Moore is called "Tina Moore"... And there is a singer with the same name, with the hit "Never gonna let you go"... But it's probably irrelevant...

Just want to post something since there is suddenly a (suprising) lack of interest on this series of riddles...:)
udosuk

What am I? (22)

Postby Cec » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:32 am

udosuk wrote:"..Just want to post something since there is suddenly a (suprising) lack of interest on this series of riddles...:)

I've only just noticed this riddle too. I also notice it's in 7th position in the "Topics" forum list due to other topics and this could explain the lack of response. That said, I'm not familiar with these singers or songs so can't really contribute.

Cec
Cec

Postby MCC » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:12 am

udosuk wrote:I'm going to leave the most obvious answer as it is guaranteed to be wrong...

Most obvious answer, I don't think so.

udosuk wrote:If Ashley Cole is gonna be the captain of the English men's football team, then the answer is Cheryl Cole (nee Tweedy) from Girls Aloud, with the 1st hit being "Sound of the Underground"...

This person is captain not gonna be captain.

udosuk wrote:If Jamie Redknapp had been the captain of the English men's football team (which I wasn't aware), then the answer is Louise Redknapp (nee Nurding) from Eternal, with the 1st hit being "Stay"...

If only.

udosuk wrote:Or it was a singer in the 60s/70s/80s or even earlier times, which I have no access to the info...

Decade you should be looking at:
1399 - Armenian calendar
4646-4647 - Chinese calendar
5710-5711 - Hebrew calendar

udosuk wrote:Incidentally, the first wife of Bobby Moore is called "Tina Moore"... And there is a singer with the same name, with the hit "Never gonna let you go"... But it's probably irrelevant...

No. The captain married the singer.

udosuk wrote:Just want to post something since there is suddenly a (suprising) lack of interest on this series of riddles...:)

I don't think there's a lack of interest, it's just that people know the obvious but don't want to post just incase it's wrong.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:13 pm

Okay, how about the WAGs, in which by definition some of them must have married English captains (for all married captains)... The 1st "official" hit - Shopping Spree in Baden-Baden?:D

Or, are they characters from the show Footballers' Wives, which is broadcasted in Australia but I don't bother to watch, so have no idea who plays the England captain and who plays his wife...

Or, "football" might refer to "rugby union" or "rugby league", which I'm not familiar (despite being an Aussie)... I have no idea if the last few English rugby union captains: Martin Corry, Jason Robinson, Jonny Wilkinson, Lawrence Dallaglio and Martin Johnson have married singers or not... And I think the rugby league in your country is internationally represented by a Great Britain team...

Probably tarek has a much better knowledge for this...:)

PS: Just noticed the hint about the decade... So the above answers are all irrelevant...
udosuk

Postby MCC » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:04 pm

udosuk wrote:PS: Just noticed the hint about the decade... So the above answers are all irrelevant...

They are indeed.

I believe there have only been nine people who have captained England in the World cups, two have captained twice. I'm talking eleven-a-side football or in England's case ten-a-side.
So, not a lot of leg work to do then.

MCC
MCC

Postby MCC » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:21 pm

No further posts - Could it be, as udosuk as stated, a lack of interest:?:

Let's try another clue:
Was this the "right" man to marry this "Hill Billy", it was very "sisterly" if she did.

udosuk, if there are no further posts by tomorrow (friday), go ahead and post the answer.

MCC
MCC

Postby underquark » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:32 pm

MCC wrote:udosuk, if there are no further posts by tomorrow (friday), go ahead and post the answer.
MCC

Confused - are you inviting udosuk to post the answer but no-one else? In which case I'll use the secret, tiny yellow letters:
Joyce (Joy) Beverley - eldest of the famous Beverley Sisters - who married Billy Wright and who had a hit - with twins Babs and Teddie - with "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" on 26 December 1953
Last edited by underquark on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
underquark

Postby udosuk » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:40 pm

Must I say, MCC is in a severe state of sleep debt now... So any action or statement he makes shouldn't be taken and judged 100% seriously...

BTW well done underquark...:)
udosuk

Postby MCC » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:32 am

underquark is, of course, correct - well done.

udosuk had already sent me a PM a day or so ago with the right answer, and because no one else had attempted a guess or asked a question in the meanwhile I'd thought I'd ask udosuk to bring matters to a close.

This was not to stop anyone else posting the answer if they knew but because I thought udosuk was the only one who knew the answer.

Still recovering.
MCC
MCC

Postby underquark » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:18 pm

MCC wrote:Still recovering.
MCC

Obviously need more Chinese food.
underquark

Postby tarek » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:42 pm

udosuk wrote:Probably tarek has a much better knowledge for this...:)

I caught this one late, too late as underquark already solved it.......

In any case, I didn't know the answer........

tarek
tarek

Return to Coffee bar