Visual C++ 6 Runtime SP6

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Visual C++ 6 Runtime SP6

Postby delboy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:47 pm

Hi, I see that a few other people have had the same problem as me, but I am not sure how they have fixed it.

When trying to install the program I get the message saying that Microsoft Visual C++ 6 Runtime SP6 is required and that I need to press next to install it. When I do this is restarts my machine and then goes through the same process over and over again.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition - Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633:Service Pack 1).

What do I have to do to get this running?
delboy

Postby Pappocom » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:24 am

The Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Runtime is included in Windows XP, so your experience is surprising. Have you done something to your OS to strip away various Microsoft components? For example, some people who don't like Microsoft or Microsoft products will run a program to strip away Internet Explorer, etc..

I think you should submit your computer to the Microsoft Upgrade system, which will scan your computer and tell you what components you need in order to bring your computer up-to-date. The updates and upgrades are free from Microsoft.

Of course, you have to trust Microsoft, to do this! But Sudoku is a Windows program, and there's no getting away from that.

I see that you have Service Pack 1. Did you know there is a Service Pack 2 available?

Alternatively, you could do a re-install of Windows and accept the Typical installation (or, if you do a Custom installation, make sure you do not exclude the C++ Runtimes).

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby delboy » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:15 am

I have no major issues with Microsoft and made no changes to my operating system whatsoever. I am running the typical installation of the os as I am too lazy to customize it in any way. I use Mozilla as my main browser, but IE is still installed.

I'll try out your suggestions and see what happens though.
delboy

Return to Forum questions and feedback