Virus software killed Sud.exe

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Virus software killed Sud.exe

Postby grifir » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:24 pm

I've been using Pappocom Sudoku for a few months now with basically no problems. Then, today (April 12, 2006), when I go to run the program, my anti-virus software (Computer Associates eTrust EZ Antivirus) tells me it's infected with a virus. The infection is listed as Win32/Unknown and the file Sud.exe is automatically deleted.

I've tried downloading and reinstalling sudoku, but the av software deletes sud.exe as it's being unpacked.

This worked fine for me last night, and I'm assuming that it has to do with today's antivirus update.

Any help/suggestions?
grifir

Postby bouncy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:00 pm

I am having the same problem. Same anti-virus and it showed a WIN32/Unknown virus. I did the same thing. Uninstalled the program and now I can't install. It keeps deleting the sud.exe file.
Thanks for any help.
bouncy

Can't install

Postby llsawyer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:09 pm

I'm also experienceing this problem. Please let me know if you have gotten resolution.
thanks
llsawyer

Postby bouncy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:14 pm

I have chatted with Computer Associates and everything they have tried has failed. I have also emailed the Sodoku swupport but no response. If Computer Associates gets a fix, I'll post it as quick as possible. Computer Associates is very aware of the problem.
bouncy

Postby Son of Pappocom » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi folks,

Every now and then this happens, much to our irritiation. Sudoku is not infected with a virus.

Occasionally the part of the program responsible for registration and copy protection is incorrectly identified as unsafe by some virus programs. Those programs then quarantine (or delete entirely) the Sud.exe file, rendering the game unplayable. The problem is usually rectified during the next DAT file update for the appropriate antivirus programs. You should then be able to un-quarantine the file, or reinstall the program.

I'll follow up with Computer Associates to make sure this is fixed as soon as possible. If any of you are using a different antivirus program from "EZ Antivirus", please let me know.

Regards
Scott
Son of Pappocom

Postby Son of Pappocom » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:13 pm

Just got off the support line with CA and they expect to push through a fix in the next 24 hours.

When that happens, you can reinstall the program:

1. Uninstall the program (using the Uninstall command on your Programs list) or Remove it (using the Add and Remove Software feature in your Control Panel).

2. Delete this directory on your computer:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\MimarSinan\Installation Information\{FB5055E4-9BE1-425F-B40A-33E43E9460DA}

3. Download the SudokuSetup file from www.sudoku.com/download.htm.

4. Pause the "real-time" scanning feature of your anti-virus software and anti-spyware software, if applicable.

5. Install the Sudoku program again, by running the SudokuSetup file.

6. Enter your registration information into the Sudoku program by selecting “Enter key…” from the “File” menu.
Son of Pappocom

Postby opoman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:24 pm

I just used system restore to go back to yesterday's conditions in XP. I then set EZ antivirus to not udpdate for 3 days instead of automatically.

That worked OK
opoman

Postby W.Child » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:32 pm

You can put and exclusion to Sud.exe in scan settings virus program. This will force the virus program to ignore Sud.EXE
W.Child

Postby bouncy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Thanks, Son of Pappocom and W.Child. I did what Son suggested but I still had a error. I added the exclusive and to sud.exe plus the load instructions and it worked fine. To add the sud.exe to your exception list in EZ Antivirus, go to scan settings, click on modify on real scanning. Click add and type in sud.exe. Click OK. Then do what Son of Pappocom suggested and it should work. Computer Associates did confirm that there should be a fix within 24 hours.
bouncy

Manifest Trojan/Virus

Postby Fbeeson1 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:59 pm

I'm having the exact same problem with the same anti-virus program.

Fbeeson1
Fbeeson1

Postby opoman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:05 pm

EZ Antivirus latest update seems to be OK
opoman

Postby W.Child » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:07 pm

:DThey have repaired their antivirus program
W.Child

Return to Forum questions and feedback