Update?

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Update?

Postby rich12545 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi, I was told there would be an update in July. Is this still planned? Thanks.
rich12545

re: next version of Pappocom software

Postby Pat » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:02 pm

rich12545 wrote:Hi, I was told there would be an update in July. Is this still planned? Thanks.

hi rich12545,
and thanks for the reminder.

there has been no news since Pappocom's response to your question in 2007.Jun.11.
    it is not necessary to launch a new Topic
    for the same question
Pat

Re: re: next version of Pappocom software

Postby wintder » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Pat wrote:
rich12545 wrote:Hi, I was told there would be an update in July. Is this still planned? Thanks.

hi rich12545,
and thanks for the reminder.

there has been no news since Pappocom's response to your question in 2007.Jun.11.
    it is not necessary to launch a new Topic
    for the same question

Pat.

Had the promised update been delivered from those who matter, had a useful response been made from those who are supposed to matter, this thread would not have been created.

You attack the wrong target.
Last edited by wintder on Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wintder

Postby udosuk » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:16 pm

Hi wintder, please don't get too personal.:(

My own take on this whole issue:
Pat was just trying to politely advice rich12545 to continue to post in his previous thread here instead of opening a new thread like this one. I don't see a violation of rules from Pat's post. Freedom of speech allows Pat to make those comments, be they meaningful or not.

Edited later: I'm glad the negative atmosphere seems to be diffused. Let's leave it behind and move forward.:)
Last edited by udosuk on Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
udosuk

Postby daj95376 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:58 pm

I guess that I'm missing something. To me, asking the question is the issue.

Wayne and Scott Gould said Farewell to these forums on June 8th. rich12545 was lucky to get a reply to his first post on June 11th.

Asking the same question again on July 26th seems inappropriate to me. The fact that it's in a new thread only compounds it.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby udosuk » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:13 am

daj95376 wrote:I guess that I'm missing something. To me, asking the question is the issue.

Wayne and Scott Gould said Farewell to these forums on June 8th. rich12545 was lucky to get a reply to his first post on June 11th.

Asking the same question again on July 26th seems inappropriate to me. The fact that it's in a new thread only compounds it.

Yes, it's not very appropriate but I think this thread was created before we (Ruud and I) were appointed as moderators, so it gets to survive. If this multiple question-asking gets serious we'll handle the issue, but at the moment I see it as a one-off stumbling and regard it as tolerable.

Son of Pappocom in here wrote:Hi folks,

Well, it's been an eventful two and a half years. Despite the odd hiccup on our part, you have collectively established the most intelligent Sudoku forum to be found anywhere. Wayne fondly recalls watching a thread in the early days wherein the x-wing technique was excitedly discovered. The level of discussion since then has only become more sophisticated, and rare is the thread nowadays that doesn't make our heads spin.

But now we're handing over the reins. Sudoku.com and these forums will endure, but not on our servers. We have every confidence that their new home will grant the kind of resources and opportunities that we could never have provided.

Sudoku the program, of course, will be unaffected (aside from having a shiny new website). For anything program-related, you will be able to find us at www.WayneGouldPuzzles.com.

Thanks so much to all of you.

Wayne & Scott Gould

I'll requote this message above as a sticky thread in this section so people will know where they should go to regarding the Pappocom software.
udosuk

Postby rich12545 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:48 pm

I don't understand why starting a new thread is all that important. And still nobody answered my question. Where is the update? It was originally promised for summer a year ago.
rich12545

Postby re'born » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:14 pm

rich12545 wrote:I don't understand why starting a new thread is all that important. And still nobody answered my question. Where is the update? It was originally promised for summer a year ago.

Son of Pappocom wrote:For anything program-related, you will be able to find us at www.WayneGouldPuzzles.com.
re'born

Postby udosuk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:31 am

Like re'born said, please forward your question to www.waynegouldpuzzles.com. There is no point posting the question here. It won't get answered because the Pappocom software isn't associated to this forum anymore.
udosuk

Postby wintder » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:45 pm

udosuk wrote:Like re'born said, please forward your question to www.waynegouldpuzzles.com. There is no point posting the question here. It won't get answered because the Pappocom software isn't associated to this forum anymore.

It might be wise to change the name of this forum then?

Sudoku: the computer program from Pappocom

I am not "associated" with any forum, yet I respond to queries, if I wish.

Are you saying that "Pappocom" is prohibited from posting here?

Udosuk, you are raising questions!
wintder

Postby Mauricio » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:32 pm

wintder wrote:I am not "associated" with any forum, yet I respond to queries, if I wish.

I don't think he is prohibited from posting here, but that questions would be answered faster (or even answered) if you forward that kind of questions to the official site.
Mauricio

Postby udosuk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:57 pm

wintder wrote:It might be wise to change the name of this forum then?

Sudoku: the computer program from Pappocom

Good idea. Some of us should write a PM to realsudoku, the new webmaster here who is the only one with the authorities to change that name.

wintder wrote:I am not "associated" with any forum, yet I respond to queries, if I wish.

Wayne Gould (Pappocom) and his son Scott (Son of Pappocom) are definitely still valid members but I don't think they're interested to frequently check out this forum and reply to people asking about their software. We are merely sharing our opinions about the effectiveness of rich12545 posting questions here, and trying to direct him to the correct place to ask such questions. Nobody is banning anybody else from posting.
udosuk

Postby rich12545 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:47 pm

Two days ago I sent them an email from their site. Have not yet heard back. Since the patch is more than a year past due and it shouldn't entail much code work, it would be nice to get it. Or some word that they're not going to do it.
rich12545

Postby wintder » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:00 pm

udosuk wrote:Hi wintder, please don't get too personal.:(

Sorry Pat, and anyone else I offended.
I do get carried away at times.
wintder

Return to Forum questions and feedback