Unique Sudoku variant

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Unique Sudoku variant

Postby sudokufan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:49 am

Hi,

Recently I've finished programming an app with (what I think is) an interesting and unique Sudoku variant. However, I put it in the Google Playstore and there will be advertisements in the app. (I hope it will be a succes and advertisements will generate some revenue and allow me to create new games as an independent developer.)

I have a question which is, am I allowed to publish a link to my app here? Technically that would be 'spam', on the other hand, playing this variant could be fun for forum members.

If the answer is 'no' I will of course accept that and not publish any link or hint on this forum. I'd be happy to hear from a moderator (or the site admin).

Thanks in advance!
sudokufan

Re: Unique Sudoku variant

Postby JasonLion-Admin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Posting a link is acceptable, as long as you limit all links and discussion of your app to a single topic, presumably to this already existing topic.

What would be even better than a link is a description of your variant, and what makes is interesting compared to all of the existing variants.
JasonLion-Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sudokufan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks for allowing me to post here.

What is unique (and I think interesting) about this Sudoku variant is that the solution of the Sudoku will slightly change if you're not quick enough making your next move (filling in the next digit). I myself enjoy playing it a lot (duh), but I'm very anxious to hear opinions of other Sudoku players. Even if not positive, please fire away.

The name of the app is 'Sudomu - Mutating Sudoku' and it's in the Google Playstore.
sudokufan

Postby Smythe Dakota » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:22 am

If "the solution .... will slightly change", to me that means "the puzzle will slightly change". In other words, if you're too slow making your next move, one of the givens will suddenly change, either by moving somewhere else or by changing in value (or both), in which case the correct solution would also likely change.

Tell me -- when such a change occurs, is the solution to the new puzzle still unique? No fair if the puzzle appearing at any given moment has multiple solutions.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby sudokufan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:15 am

Correct, the solution and therefore the puzzle will slightly change. To be exact, two digits will disappear and one new (different) given is, well, given.

At anytime, the solution will be unique and solvable in line with the difficulty of the chosen level. If there's only few givens (in the beginning of solving) it might not be possible to change the Sudoku (so it will not change).

After finishing the Sudomu there is the possibility to scroll back through the changes and verify the correctness at any moment if one feels like it.

(Side note: there's a level system in the game that appears to be a bit annoying. I am going to change that, just still trying to figure out exactly how.)
sudokufan

Postby enxio27 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:18 pm

That sounds like an exercise in frustration to me. I think I'll pass. I'm mostly a pencil and paper solver, anyway.
enxio27

Postby sudokufan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 am

And how right you are, it can be a complete exercise in frustration. Until you solve it.
sudokufan

Postby enxio27 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:42 am

sudokufan wrote:And how right you are, it can be a complete exercise in frustration. Until you solve it.

I do sudoku to relax, not to be frustrated. Thanks, but as I said, I'm not interested.
enxio27

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:50 am

sudokufan wrote:Correct, the solution and therefore the puzzle will slightly change. To be exact, two digits will disappear and one new (different) given is, well, given. ....

If the two digits that disappear are givens, then there is a net loss of one given every time the puzzle changes. Thus, it appears you are probably making the puzzle more difficult, thus punishing the user for each slow response.

If, on the other hand, the two digits that disappear are not givens, then you are simply erasing two digits the user had already filled in, thus not changing the solution (assuming the solution was already unique before the new given was added). In this case the user could simply re-enter the two erased digits.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby sudokufan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:50 pm

The player is punished for a slow response, but the sudomu will (generally) not become more difficult than the first displayed sudoku.

Each solved digit is treated equally as a 'given', it becomes a given. Then two digits (whether original givens or solved digits) are erased (and a new one is given).

Treating found digits as givens is only possible if they are correct. The consequence is that solving must fail abruptly if one makes a mistake. It's not for everyone.
sudokufan

Return to Sudoku variants