Turkey's Qualifying puzzles to the World Sudoku Championship

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Turkey's Qualifying puzzles to the World Sudoku Championship

Postby Crazy Girl » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:20 am

Came across Turkey's Qualifying puzzles to the World Sudoku Championships in Lucca here.

The First 2 puzzles are regular sudoku, (despite looks, not SudokuX). In the third puzzle all neighbouring numbers with a difference of 4 are marked with a red circle on the side between them. In the final puzzle one has to use the numbers found in the above puzzles and add clues until the puzzle is solvable.

Here is the 4th puzzle with the clues A-L (anyone free to independently confirm the clues A-L)

Code: Select all
 A7 .  .  | B6 . C3 | .  .  .
 .  .  .  | .  .  . | .  D8 .
 .  .  .  | .  .  . | .  .  .
----------+---------+--------
 .  .  .  | 3E .  . | F5 .  .
 .  .  G8 | .  .  . | .  .  .
 .  H4  . | .  I8 . | .  .  .
 J9 .  .  | K5 .  . | L3 .  .
 .  .  *  | .  .  . | .  .  .
 .  .  .  | .  *  . | .  .  .

two cells marked with (*) must also be clues.

Is there a logical way to find the minimum number of clues for which this puzzle can be solved, or is it abit of 'Trial and Error' involved:?:
Crazy Girl

Postby Wolfgang » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm

Strange problem, pure T&E. You already have 7x7 possibilities for the 2 cells and are left then with 49 16-clues with millions of possible solutions. Also with a program it is not easy to find a sudoku with the minimum number of clues then. Or did i miss some additional constraint ?
Wolfgang

Postby Crazy Girl » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:53 pm

No additional constraint, the 4 puzzles are marked on a points system, for the fourth puzzle, where c is the number of clues the points awarded are

100 - square of (c-27) if c>=27

100 + square of (27-c) if c<=27.

so obviously to score highly one needs to get the minimum number of clues for the puzzle.:)

If you make the puzzle symmetrical, then there would be 28 clues, but one of the cells can be determined from the information currently present, so that makes 27 clues, a coincidence:!:
Crazy Girl

Postby udosuk » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:03 pm

I suspect the 2 extra shaded cells in the 4th puzzle must be identical, so 7 choices there... Afterwards you have 14 clues, and theoretically 3 more extra clues could give you a valid puzzle... So the max total points you could score is 60+140+100+100+(27-17)^2 = 500, right?
udosuk

Postby Crazy Girl » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:57 pm

udosuk wrote:I suspect the 2 extra shaded cells in the 4th puzzle must be identical, so 7 choices there... Afterwards you have 14 clues, and theoretically 3 more extra clues could give you a valid puzzle... So the max total points you could score is 60+140+100+100+(27-17)^2 = 500, right?

Yes, but how you find the 3 extra clues to give one 17 clues, and be able to solve it is a mystery to me.:D
Crazy Girl

Postby udosuk » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:18 pm

Crazy Girl wrote:Yes, but how you find the 3 extra clues to give one 17 clues, and be able to solve it is a mystery to me.

This is mostly likely to be a programming problem... I think gfoyle & co. would be able to find the perfect solution...
udosuk

Re: Turkey's Qualifying puzzles to the World Sudoku Champion

Postby Ocean » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:26 pm

Crazy Girl wrote:Here is the 4th puzzle with the clues A-L (anyone free to independently confirm the clues A-L)

.  .  .  | .  .  . | .  D8 .
 .  .  G8 | .  .  . | .  .  .
 .  .  *  | .  .  . | .  .  .
 .  .  .  | .  *  . | .  .  .

two cells marked with (*) must also be clues.

Is there a logical way to find the minimum number of clues for which this puzzle can be solved, or is it abit of 'Trial and Error' involved:?:

Try this:
 .  .  .  | .  .  . | .  D8 X4
 .  Y1 G8 | .  .  . | .  .  .
 Z2 .  *7 | .  .  . | .  .  .