tinypic.com is down

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

tinypic.com is down

Postby tarek » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi all,

Just noticed that this image sharing website (which I use mainly when sharing puzzle images on this site) is currently down.

I hope that it is something temporary :?

tarek
tarek

Re: tinypic.com is down

Postby tarek » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:13 am

It is up again. I'm checking what puzzle images I've posted that have no text equivalent to check if I've got a backup already. I would suggest that other members do the same

Any images that were on imageshack appear to be broken now but many have text equivalents so not a major disaster :D

tarek
tarek

Postby enxio27 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:57 pm

I use imgur.com. I have a very small (but growing) selection of my puzzle collection here:

https://enxio27.imgur.com/

It contains all of Ruud's specialty puzzles (which is why I started it), but I'm adding more puzzles, especially those that are no longer available elsewhere. I also use it when I want to post a puzzle here or on the SudokuSolver forum.
enxio27

Postby tarek » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:28 pm

That's great. Having an account also allows you to access all your images on their server from a personalised folder.

I should have done that a while back. All my images have mushroomed out of control. I will start backing up the images which have difficult or no text equivalent posted with them. & take it from there.

All of the images are somewhere on a hard drive on my compute but they need sorting to make access to them easier.

Thanks

Tarek
tarek

Postby enxio27 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:30 am

tarek wrote:That's great. Having an account also allows you to access all your images on their server from a personalised folder.

Yes, it comes in very handy. It's also useful for sharing puzzles with others, either online or in person. I also try to include the puzzle codes in the descriptions that accompany the images.

As I said, its original intent was to preserve puzzles for posterity that were in danger of being lost to the Internet. When I first began cataloging Ruud's specialty puzzles, I kept track of their locations, especially those that weren't on his Sudocue site. I started doing this even while he was still actively posting new puzzles. Then he disappeared, and one by one, the various forums and other locations he had posted puzzles to started disappearing, as well. Not only that, but we never know when Sudocue itself might go down permanently. I knew I needed a repository that I had some measure of control over. imgur has been around a while, and has a wide audience that extends well beyond the Sudoku community.

I should have done that a while back. All my images have mushroomed out of control. I will start backing up the images which have difficult or no text equivalent posted with them. & take it from there.

All of the images are somewhere on a hard drive on my compute but they need sorting to make access to them easier.

If you set up an account on imgur or elsewhere for your puzzle repository, please be sure to post the link, and make the puzzle images public. I encourage (beg) other puzzle makers to do the same.
enxio27

Postby tarek » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:19 am

My page on imgur is:

https://sudokumonster.imgur.com :lol:

I'll be adding images slowly. I'll start by backing up the images of my already posted puzzles. initially the puzzles without a text equivalent then hopefully the rest. I can already see some broken links to images on tiny pic and imageshack.

All new images will be links to imgur hopefully too.

This backup would last as long as imgur lasts obviously!!!

tarek
tarek

Postby enxio27 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Excellent! I've bookmarked your site.
enxio27

Return to Coffee bar