Times Killer 4-1-06

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Times Killer 4-1-06

Postby CathyW » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:12 am

I must be losing my touch! Messed it up this morning. Will have to have another go when it's available on the Times website tomorrow:(

Anyone else find that today's puzzle was genuinely "tricky"?
CathyW

Postby dalek » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:24 pm

Not really, it was pretty much by rote - the only unusual thing was I found I had to consider the possibility of 4 candidates for some of the boxes in c9 - I normally find, with Times killers, that I don't need to contemplate a 2 box cage (or indeed a 3 box cage) until the choice is down to 2 numbers (this is not the case with DJapes puzzles of course) so it was a bit wierd giving in and thinking OK, there are 4 possible numbers for each box in this cage - as soon as I did that, several of them dropped out straight away due to the normal rules of sudoku and it was all over bar the shouting. It took about 10 minutes which is long for a tricky I suppose. And no innies or outies which is a bit odd too. I think a lot of the times puzzles recently have been very similar and we have been able to basically sleepwalk through them.
dalek

Postby afjt » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:59 pm

Cathy, I found exactly the opposite - so trivial it was done in 5-10 minutes. I began to wonder if it was another repeat !
afjt

Postby CathyW » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:30 pm

I was obviously not with it this morning - perhaps due to having to chase my teenagers to get ready for first day back at school!

Redrew the puzzle and completed in about five minutes. I knew it ought not to be that "tricky" since it had so many singles given. Confidence restored and now got DJApe's Thinker to have a go at.:D
CathyW

Return to Sudoku variants