Times Deadly 18-11 isn't!

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Times Deadly 18-11 isn't!

Postby CathyW » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:16 am

After the more challenging toughs this week - especially Monday's and yesterday's I was looking forward to having to spend at least an hour on today's Killer from the Times. I even thought I'd better not start it this morning as I'd be late for work - but couldn't resist and did it in 16 minutes, it was quite straightforward. Think they need to reassess their classifications. Hopefully DJape (www.djape.net) will have another 'Insane' on his site today.
CathyW

Postby afjt » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:17 am

It makes it easier when it is a repeat though - puzzle first appeared in the Killer article on August 31st.
Also, hints to solve it are on nd's webpage: http://www.ndorward.com/blog/?page_id=50
afjt

Postby SammyJ » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:44 am

I was going to post the same thing Cathy, though oddly I found Monday and Tuesday straightforward and Wednesday very tough and then Thursday the hardest I've seen. Funny how different ones trouble different people.

However, when they're easy they're generally easy for everyone, or at least experienced people.

I took about half an hour today including three train changes, so about 20 minutes probably.
SammyJ

Postby nd » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:35 pm

Funny that it took you only 16 minutes to solve! --I think I put about 4 hours into solving it the first time! That was the puzzle where I worked out the basic solving techniques for myself, which was why I used it as the basis for the tips page.... Nowadays it doesn't seem all that hard a puzzle, but at the time it seemed a monster!

Just updated the tips page to reflect current developments (notably, an update on duplicate numbers in cages, some comments on terminology, & an addendum on plus-minus techniques). Anything else I should add to the page?
nd

Postby Pi » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:19 pm

I took me 18 minutes which is quite a long time for me, i did find it more difficult than most other kilers i've done but i thought the puzzle on thursday was harder.
Pi

Postby afjt » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:17 pm

nd wrote:Just updated the tips page

Should
"The sum of the two outies + innie = ...."
on the tips page read
"The sum of the two outies - innie = ...." ?
afjt

Postby nd » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:27 am

Yep, bleah.... OK, hang on, just going to fix the typo now...!
nd

Return to Sudoku variants