the next level of sudoku

Notes on possible new logic puzzles

the next level of sudoku

Postby steven » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:37 am

Hi all,

I made a puzzle that's a combination of a number Sudoku and a color Sudoku. The rules are easy: "every row, every column and every block of 9 squares should contain all numbers and colors". It's a web-only puzzle, not suited for print, as it's dealing with ordering colors as well. But hey, it looks nice in Flash:) Check it here: Squobble puzzle.

Please send me some feedback as I'm still improving it.
Have fun,
Steven
steven

Postby Pi » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:20 pm

i like it

I think it is better experienced on a TFT screen
Pi

Postby steven » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:24 pm

Those are different. They uses only 3 colours (instead of 9).

Steven
www.squobble.com
steven

Postby ab » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:26 pm

I agree your puzzle is different. It looks interesting, but I didn't stop to try it. I'm sure you could start with a lot less hints in the original puzzle.
ab
ab

Postby Chessmaster » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:44 pm

i like it. just work on it and make more puzzles i guess.
Chessmaster

Re: the next level of sudoku

Postby angusj » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:47 am

steven wrote:Please send me some feedback as I'm still improving it.

Looks pretty good as it is. Well done.
angusj

Postby r.e.s. » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:53 am

steven wrote:Please send me some feedback

Being "color blind", I can't play. How about an option to use letters in place of colors? E.g., the pieces could be tiles like this ...Image ... using letters A-I. (Color vision confusion is more common than many realise.)
r.e.s.

Postby steven » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:02 pm

ab wrote:I agree your puzzle is different. It looks interesting, but I didn't stop to try it. I'm sure you could start with a lot less hints in the original puzzle.
ab

Well, you've probably only seen beginner level. If you choose expert level (click "new" and then change "beginner" to "expert") I'm sure you'll find all hints necessary.

Steven
www.squobble.com
steven

Postby steven » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:09 pm

r.e.s. wrote:Being "color blind", I can't play. How about an option to use letters in place of colors? E.g., the pieces could be tiles like this ...Image ... using letters A-I. (Color vision confusion is more common than many realise.)

Hi r.e.s.,
I already thought this might be a problem. The option you give is interesting, however I'll have to think about how to do this. Having 81 numbers and 81 letters on the same board might make it difficult to overview. I'll add it to the to-do list anyway.

Steven
www.squobble.com
steven

Postby r.e.s. » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:24 pm

steven wrote:Having 81 numbers and 81 letters on the same board might make it difficult to overview.

I suspect the situation is something like this:

To a person with normal color vision it is challenging but not overwhelming to have colors in addition to the numbers, whereas the additional letters would be overwhelming.

To a person with color confusion it is challenging but not overwhelming to have letters in addition to the numbers, whereas the additional colors would be overwhelming.

As suggested in other postings on this forum, it's possible that color-confused people develop compensating skills in "shape discrimination". I wonder if there's published research on this. (?)
r.e.s.

Postby steven » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:30 pm

That's great, r.e.s.,

but I don't like the idea of putting 2 characters within one sudoku piece, I'd have to reduce the characters in size. I thought I can replace the color by a dot on a side of a piece. The 9 pieces would then be something like this:

What do you think?

Steven
www.squobble.com
steven

Postby r.e.s. » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:32 pm

steven wrote:What do you think?

I like that better than letters -- maybe with "pointers" like this ...Image
(Most "color blind" people would appreciate some sort of color scheme -- as long as they don't need to base discriminations on them.)
r.e.s.

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:55 pm

Steven,

I like it a lot, although I too had a problem differentiating some of the colours - lime green and turqoise, for example - and I'm not colour challenged. Perhaps it's a fault of my creaky, old-fashioned monitor though.

I especially liked the bit at the end when the numbers all twist round, once the puzzle is solved (and the fact that you can do that again). I also liked the explanation of how to play - which I read after I played so it was clear enough from the get go (as the Americans would say, I think).

I see that you have a black and white version for the colour challenged (or if I happen to be just plain lazy!) amongst us. I thank you for making the clues obvious and apart from the 'inputs' on both types of puzzle - my personal soapbox.

If I may suggest, space on the website so that players can save and/or store puzzles that are completed or, more importantly, interrupted/unfinished for some reason. The ability to print out a completed colour puzzle would be nice (I thought mine was very pretty and I was very pleased with myself when I had completed it. I don't usually use a computer to solve).

I wonder, in future, would it be possible to dub in your own, ordinary, puzzle and have it converted to a colour puzzle?

It would also be nice to know who set the puzzles (another personal soapbox) and why/how they came up with the idea.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby steven » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:10 pm

r.e.s. wrote:I like that better than letters -- maybe with "pointers" like this ...Image

Ah that's cool, I like those pointers. It will probably become something like this then.

Steven
steven

Next

Return to Inventors' studio