The BEEF FLAVORED SALT LICK

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

The BEEF FLAVORED SALT LICK

Postby Pupp » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:39 pm

A relative calls me up and wanted me to visit. Mainly as a stand-in partner for bridge. A game I haven't played since high school.

But, I didn't have anything on my calendar, so I figured it would be something different to do.

So after a two and a half hour drive, I arrive just in time for dinner.....

There were 5 people at the dinner, including my relative who cooked the dinner, and fantasizes he's a french chef.....

First course was a salad. Nobody can screw that up.

But the 2nd course was his "piece de resistance": homemade French Onion Soup.
Everybody takes a sip, except my relative who was waiting with baited breath on how every like it. We all looked at each other... before someone asked if he'd followed a recipe. Not too surprising that he said "No".

So we all gently pushed our soup bowls away and ask if he'd tasted the soup before he served it. Nobody was surprised at all when he said "No" again.

It pretty much tasted like a salt flavored beef lick. In my entire life, I'd never tasted anything as salty as that, short of eating salt directly from a salt shaker, or leftover salt at the bottom of a bag of pretzels. :lol:

It was fun to play bridge again, although I was pretty rusty at the start.
Pupp

Re: The BEEF FLAVORED SALT LICK

Postby StrmCkr » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Add potatoes (peeled and whole) to the broth(simmer only) to draw out the excess salt, remove and discard the potatoes befor they are to soft to get out easily.
Some do, some teach, the rest look it up.
stormdoku
StrmCkr

Postby Pupp » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:04 am

Hard to do that with french onion soup. It's all ladled into individual bowls, then dried bread and cheese is put on top, then baked until it a gooey mess, but usually delicious.
Pupp

Postby StrmCkr » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:43 pm

Easy to fix befor you finish the soup while it's simmiring
bread and cheese is the last step befor served s it's torched/salmandar/oven to finish.
Some do, some teach, the rest look it up.
stormdoku
StrmCkr

Return to Coffee bar