The 9 kinds of physics seminar

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

The 9 kinds of physics seminar

Postby dobrichev » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Link: https://manyworldstheory.com/2013/10/03/the-9-kinds-of-physics-seminar/

Matthew Rave in 2013 wrote:As a public service, I hereby present my findings on physics seminars in convenient graph form. In each case, you will see the Understanding of an Audience Member (assumed to be a run-of-the-mill PhD physicist) graphed as a function of Time Elapsed during the seminar.


I most enjoyed the “Guest From Another Department” category and wonder how much of this forum content fits there ;)
dobrichev
2016 Supporter
 
Posts: 1745
Joined: 24 May 2010

Re: The 9 kinds of physics seminar

Postby Serg » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:14 am

Hi, Mladen!
Amazing article! I like idea that "Understanding" should be represented by complex number. Its real part can describe real understanding, but imaginary part should describe understanding that somebody thinks has.

This idea can be used in Sudoku complexity characterisation. It should be represented by complex number. Real part can be produced by some program like serate, but imaginary part can show "impression" of difficulty (absence of single moves, etc.). Overall complexity is calculated as complex number module.

Serg
Serg
2018 Supporter
 
Posts: 652
Joined: 01 June 2010
Location: Russia

Re: The 9 kinds of physics seminar

Postby Mathimagics » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:32 am

Greetings, Mladen, Serg …

My understanding wrt Sudoku indicates perhaps that maybe I am that guest from the Kakuro Department … :roll:

PS: Really enjoyed the linked article … 8-)
User avatar
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: 27 May 2015
Location: Canberra

Re: The 9 kinds of physics seminar

Postby dobrichev » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:05 am

Once in this forum, being unaware that such categorization exist, I identified one discussion as "anti-poetry", involving Vogons civilization cultural achievements.
Now I see how wrong I was. The opposite of the "poetry" category is "Nobel Prize Winner" category where the discussion in question should be.

@Serg, unfortunately I can't agree with you. The imaginary part should come from daydreaming but in your example the impression is closer to nightmare. Another difference is that the “Guest From Another Department” scenario usually has happy end.
See how my interpretation looks like.
Yes, the author's solution path is very close to mine. Actually for this specific puzzle he uses a special case simplification, and I use more general method. My method for 70% of the puzzles leads to the exactly same solution board. In the rest 30% the board differences are concentrated in few houses.
...
Later I will reproduce the author's solution path with pencil and paper.
OK, better to pass the puzzle trough my computer solver instead.
Yes, the solution is the same as the author's. The same which I would achieve. My method is better. Period.
dobrichev
2016 Supporter
 
Posts: 1745
Joined: 24 May 2010


Return to Coffee bar