The 13th Zodiac sign

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

The 13th Zodiac sign

Postby Kiskimos » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:02 pm

perhaps i have come to the wrong place to ask this question, ill go ahead anyway ...

the other week i looked up into the sky and the moon perfectly central in a large circle of space in which there was no cloud, surrounding it (obvioudly) was cloud. i tried to take a photo of it but i havent got the film developed yet.

the moon was perfectly Horoscope and edge of the circle around it was crisp and neat .

i wondered if anyone might know the name of such an occurance or if anyone else had seen one ?
Kiskimos

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:19 pm

So, the links (H and if) take you to advertisements on the web.

As for the 13th horoscope sign : 13 SIGNS OF THE ZODIAC is the first site that google turned up.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby MCC » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:19 pm

I've just dug out my crystal ball, it did not need dusting as it is Teflon coated, and I see-

As a astrologer you know nothing about the subject you're advertising.

You may be waxing lyrical at the moment but you'll soon be on the wane and dissappearing up..., sorry the ball has cloudied up here.

I personally do not believe in astrology, but I do know that I was born in the Chinese year of the Bull and this was my message to you:D

MCC
MCC

Postby emm » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:53 pm

I was a bit surprised at the tone of your reply, MCC. Mind you I didn't click on the advertisements - I avoid those casual links in case I catch something.

I hope I'm not being naive, but I took Kiskimos' post at face value - even if it is a little more random than most. I've seen this lunar phenomenon - it's a kind of halo, caused by something atmospheric but I have no idea what.

PS : I'm a Taurean, what are you?
emm

Re: The 13th Zodiac sign

Postby jf27 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:05 pm

Kiskimos wrote:perhaps i have come to the wrong place to ask this question

Perhaps?
jf27

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:29 pm

em wrote:I hope I'm not being naive, but I took Kiskimos' post at face value - even if it is a little more random than most. I've seen this lunar phenomenon - it's a kind of halo, caused by something atmospheric but I have no idea what.

Well you can call me suspicious if you like but:
    1 What would that have to do with a zodiac sign?
    2 Why did the post have a question as a title but no reference to it in the body of the post?
    3 Why put in links to advertisements that do have something to do with the title of the post?

I don't doubt that this type of sighting exists and I've probably seen it myself but I didn't assume it had anything to do a new zodiac sign.

Anyway, I just wanted to alert other posters that the links went to adverts of some kind telling us all about the 13th sign of the zodiac, and thus giving the choice of whether or not to look at them. Kinda makes you wonder why that wasn't made clear in the original post doesn't it?

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby stocku » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:29 am

Hello everyone.

When 9X9 was an officer in the RAF, he flew gliders in his spare time. Gliders are weather-dependent and a knowledge of meteorology was essential. Tucked into our bookcase, not a million miles from "Sudoku Genius", is a book on weather forecasting, from which I have culled the following.

"Fronts form when two dissimilar airmasses come into contact, and are either warm, cold or occluded. The vast masses of cloud and attendant rain that form above frontal surfaces come about because of lifting. The way the warm air is lifted over the cold means that the air cools in bulk and, being already overloaded with water vapour, condenses into cloud. Further lifting generates the rain process.

Because, with a warm front, the warm frontal surface slopes up over the cold air ahead of a coming depression by many hundreds of miles, its characteristic sequence of clouds forewarns of coming bad weather. The first cloud to appear is cirrus, which may be as much as 500 miles and 12 hours ahead of the point where the warm front will clear and introduce the muggy-warm air of the warm sector. Before that happens, the cirrus will thicken across the sky and eventually be replaced by cirrostratus that forms a halo around the sun or moon".

The description of the warm front cloud sequence then continues, mentioning altostratus, pannus and finally the rain bearing nimbostratus.

The halo phenomenon, caused by ice crystals, is quite common and there is a photograph of it in the book. I have observed it many times and saw a particularly good example one afternoon last October.
stocku

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:51 am

As I said, I don't doubt that the phenomenon exists, but nobody has explained the link between the phenomenon and the 13th zodiac sign.

Since Kiskimos hasn't come back to explain what s/he meant - or for that matter posted anywhere else, and his/her profile lists a website that has the word horoscope in it - that says it all to me.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby MCC » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:40 pm

em wrote:I was a bit surprised at the tone of your reply, MCC. Mind you I didn't click on the advertisements - I avoid those casual links in case I catch something.

I know. Totally out of character for me, but it did say in my horoscope that day "That I would vent my spleen at some one".

em wrote:I hope I'm not being naive, but I took Kiskimos' post at face value - even if it is a little more random than most. I've seen this lunar phenomenon - it's a kind of halo, caused by something atmospheric but I have no idea what.

As soon as I saw the links I suspected something, and I checked them out. If Kiskimos's post had been from a naive believer of astrology asking a simple question, rather than someone flogging their wares, then maybe I would've lent a more sympathetic ear.

em wrote:PS : I'm a Taurean, what are you?

I'm a Leo on the cusp with Virgo. See, I do know the lingo.

Nothing in the sky affects the astrology of the human race until it's discovered by astronomers.

MCC
MCC

Return to Coffee bar