Tabletop Sudoku

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Postby Nick67 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:51 pm

Thanks 9X9!

And I should add that I would very much like to do
a hard puzzle without pencilmarks, so I will keep
practicing and trying to think of potential strategies. A solution
without pencilmarks just looks so nice (as you suggest).

I just wonder how I'll be able to spot, say, a naked quad
or an X-Wing. Maybe the key is to see these same patterns in
a different way?

Getting back to the thread topic: thanks for your fine
description of TS. It sounds very enjoyable.
Last edited by Nick67 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick67

Postby emm » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:04 pm

Nick - you have to visualise the pencil marks don't you? Or not? Do you see the pattern on a bare grid? Wow! I feel an epiphany hovering.

Luna - sorry for muddling your things of beauty - I bet your grids are as gorgeous as your pencil marks anyway. The thought of you salivating over them is something else again, but wait… yes, I think I can handle that too.:D
emm

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:57 pm

9X9 wrote:.............. and now I can avoid this, with the added aesthetic, tactile and spatial pleasures, by playing Tabletop Sudoku, at the admittedly non-fiendish but nevertheless acceptably testing level of the 50 puzzles supplied with it (it sounds as if Luna may be doing something similar, albeit for a different reason).

Hmmm, I never thought of it in this vein "aesthetic, tactile and spatial pleasures,". I do like my pencil and paper but am open to other 'sensations', especially tactile.

9X9 wrote:The choice being beauty or the beast, give me beauty every time.

Ah, yes indeed.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby 9X9 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:15 pm

Luna - you're a soft touch!
9X9

Postby 9X9 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:30 pm

I've now cracked the TS "tile" storage problem with the, blindingly obvious once you do it, "quantum leap" of removing all the puzzle sheets, bar the "live" one, from the tray and storing them off-board. The tray is then free to hold the "tiles", together with the "live" sheet but this only for reference and not for direct use as envisaged by the makers.

My final verdict on TS - 10/10.
9X9

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:16 pm

9X9 wrote:Luna - you're a soft touch!

Ain't I just ?:D

Do you know who it was that set these puzzles?

Call me a purist but I like to have at least the name (even if it's a company name) of whomsoever is setting the puzzles i.e. with whom I'm pitting my wits (such as they are!) I also like to know if they are hand-set or computer generated - in the event I can't tell just by looking at them. I couldn't find this information on the box, perhaps I should contact Clinton Cards to see if they know. Will get back on that one.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby 9X9 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:37 pm

Luna - Afraid not and CC will probably refer you back to Only4U.

Wayne is named on the box so he may perhaps know and a quick check of one of the puzzles shows it to be symmetrical - thus they may be Pappocom generated.
Last edited by FAST Enterprise [Crawler] on Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9X9

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:58 pm

9X9 wrote:Luna - Afraid not and CC will probably refer you back to Only4U.

Wayne is named on the box so he may perhaps know and a quick check of one of the puzzles now shows it to be symmetrical - thus they may be Pappocom generated.

Haven't had a reply from CC and I can't get into the products part of the Only4U site. PM'd Wayne but since I did it off board, I don't feel right about posting the reply here.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby 9X9 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:24 pm

Luna - Interested to hear anything you are able to say, as and when.

Wave your hand vigorously if you are now, or are going to be, playing using TS and want to know my way of using tiles as "markers".
9X9

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:36 pm

9X9 wrote:Luna - Interested to hear anything you are able to say, as and when.

Shall pass on any info as and when.

9X9 wrote:Wave your hand vigorously if you are now, or are going to be, playing using TS and want to know my way of using tiles as "markers".

Am giving this further consideration, thanks for the offer.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:57 am

Nothing yet from CC, unsurprisingly, but Wayne said I could copy his PM to me to this thread.

Pappocom wrote:Not as far as I'm aware. It's possible that I supplied puzzles to some business firm and they have used a different name for their actual production - but I don't think so. If someone legitimately has Pappocom puzzles, they usually want to make it clear to their end-users that the puzzles are from Pappocom.

So, I don't believe the puzzles included with TableTop are mine.

- Wayne

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby 9X9 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:20 pm

Luna - tks.

I've dubbed a sample, all symmetrical, of the TS puzzles into Pappocom and they all "Verified". Unless events prove otherwise, I think we can therefore safely assume that they are OK. As for the identity of the originator, I'll ring O4U on Monday and see what I can glean - should hopefully be a tad easier than spotting subsets!

I played a TS puzzle this morning, very soothing - sun shining, birds singing, England going to "stick one up" the Argies this afternoon, all well with the world.
9X9

Postby 9X9 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:20 pm

Argentina 2 England 3 - now those are the pairs and triples that I love finding!!!
9X9

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:13 pm

9X9 wrote:I've dubbed a sample, all symmetrical, of the TS puzzles into Pappocom and they all "Verified". Unless events prove otherwise, I think we can therefore safely assume that they are OK.

I was assuming that, I just wanted to know ..........
9X9 wrote:As for the identity of the originator, I'll ring O4U on Monday and see what I can glean - should hopefully be a tad easier than spotting subsets!

Smashing. Still no e-word from CC, but I don't expect any.

Luna *well now, woz that the football score?*
lunababy_moonchild

Postby 9X9 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:27 pm

Too right on the score and it was a cracking good game - one of the best you'll ever see. We were 2- 1 down with a few minutes to go but the "never say die" spirit saw us then score two, when other teams would just have given up.
9X9

PreviousNext

Return to General