Sudoku to Music

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Sudoku to Music

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:01 pm

I have found (by accident!) that my solving enjoyment is increased when I have classical music on in the background - usually Classic FM channel through Sky, for those of us lucky enough to have access to it. Very oddly - and this is because previous airings have caused me to turn over - a piano piece by Phillip Glass (title escapes me at the moment), of all people, sounded a lot more soothing when I was listening as opposed to watching.

Anybody else found this, or is it just me?:D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby jf27 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:58 am

How about a fourth category:

"I can't listen to music/play Sudoku if I'm being distracted by Sudoku/music"?:D
jf27

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:59 am

That would fall under the 'no' category, then

Luna *Can't change the poll options once a reply has been posted*
lunababy_moonchild

Postby rubylips » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:24 pm

I'd have to agree with you. I usually buy a few of The Gramophone (UK Classical record review mag) Editor's Choice discs each month and I've found that I'm more receptive to obscure repertoire if I listen as I program. I've even started to make progress with Havergal Brian. However, I don't listen exclusively to classical music - a Judas Priest disc has just popped out of my CD drive. Jossi Bjorling next ...
rubylips

Postby jf27 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:10 pm

rubylips wrote:

I've even started to make progress with Havergal Brian.

Well good, as BBC Radio 3's broadcasting his Gothic Symphony (2 hours!) next week. Might just see me through a Superior.:D
jf27

Postby Shazbot » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:17 pm

I would have ASSUMED no - I'm one of those people who needs complete silence to concentrate. But just a few days before you posted this, I started playing music while I was solving puzzles. I don't know if I was solving them any faster, but I was sure enjoying it more, and found patterns were easier to see (xwings, swordfish, colouring). Rob Thomas, Matchbox Twenty, David Bowie - certainly not what you'd call classical. I don't think the likes of ACDC would cut it for me though...
Shazbot

Postby emm » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:01 am

Luna, is ‘not giving a tosspot’ the same as ‘not giving a toss’ where you come from? I hope so, cause I voted for option 3.

Sudoku song titles – Nobody Said It Was Easy? The Long & Winding Road? X&Y? Twisted Logic? The Hardest Part? ….Hallelujah?:D
emm

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:46 am

Shazbot wrote:I would have ASSUMED no - I'm one of those people who needs complete silence to concentrate. But just a few days before you posted this, I started playing music while I was solving puzzles. I don't know if I was solving them any faster, but I was sure enjoying it more, and found patterns were easier to see (xwings, swordfish, colouring). Rob Thomas, Matchbox Twenty, David Bowie - certainly not what you'd call classical. I don't think the likes of ACDC would cut it for me though...

I assumed no too, but picked up a puzzle in an idle moment with the TV running on Classic FM. I thought I was concentrating solely on the puzzle but the day after that the same thing happened and it wasn't Classic FM I was in front of and I found it slightly harder to concentrate (so I switched the TV off). Haven't tried popular music though, the next step in the experiment, but you are right ACDC would be most distracting ( and I like them!).

em wrote:Luna, is ‘not giving a tosspot’ the same as ‘not giving a toss’ where you come from? I hope so, cause I voted for option 3.

Indeed, we put our tosses in a pot, here. Very environmentally friendly. A spot of the Hallelujah Chorus when I finally finished one that I've struggled with wouldn't go amiss, wonder how to set that up?:D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Shazbot » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:04 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:Haven't tried popular music though, the next step in the experiment

Actually, SINGING along can add to the enjoyment without (I found) detracting from the puzzle experience! Certainly a sight to be seen, but NOT heard!
Shazbot

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:19 pm

Oddly, I have been known to do this.

Singing (for lack of a better description) along to some songs played on Classic FM. Only done when the house is otherwise empty, but surprisingly beneficial.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby MCC » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:05 pm

I was just wondering whether this could be a gender issue, women can, men can't.

I realise that nothing is ever black and white and that there will be a grey area.

I have not tried listening to music whilst doing sudoku but in general if I'm listening to music then I'm listening to music and doing nothing else. I would find it a distraction.

Maybe someone should start a new poll.
MCC

Postby PaulIQ164 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:59 pm

I know I certainly can do them faster if there's complete and total silence. I mean, I can finish them when theres music or the TV or whatever, but not nearly as quickly.
PaulIQ164

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:15 pm

MCC wrote:I was just wondering whether this could be a gender issue, women can, men can't.

It has been said that women are good at multi-tasking (can't remember where I read that though, probably the local newspaper!)

Em voted for option 3 and she's female - not conclusive by any standards (the fact that women can and men can't that is, not the fact that em is female)!

MCC wrote:Maybe someone should start a new poll.

Saying what?:D

I'm not saying that music is necessary, but I find it enhances the solving experience. It doesn't enhance my solving time - ridiculously slow - just enhances the process. Oddly, I did find popular music i.e. VH1 etc distracting.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby emm » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:22 pm

Sorry Luna, if boys need silence then you definitely need another category :
Too engrossed in the puzzle to care <> No, can’t do two things at once!

Try this for multitasking skills – solve a puzzle while carrying on an intelligent conversation on the telephone. (Girls will have an advantage here too, being able to do absolutely anything at the same time as talking!) Did I say that?:D
emm

Postby jf27 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:28 am

Isn't the "multi-tasking" issue a bit of a red herring? It all depends on the music, doesn't it? You wouldn't (would you?) listen to a late Beethoven quartet while doing a Pappocom Very Hard, but you might well have Classic FM on telling you to relax and playing The Lark Ascending while zinging through an Easy.:D
jf27

Next

Return to General