Sudoku killed my internet

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Sudoku killed my internet

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:22 am

I installed Sudoku and allowed it to upgrade Microsoft XML 4.0 Service Pack 2. Now I can't get online. What did this program do to my broadband connection?

Postby Pappocom » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:55 am

As far as I am aware, Sudoku and XML 4.0 SP2 on the one hand and your broadband connection on the other have nothing in common - so installing one could not affect the other.

However, if you like to send me an email (using the email button below) and provide me with more details, I will see if I can help you.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Re: Sudoku killed my internet

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:05 am

URABAHN wrote:I installed Sudoku and allowed it to upgrade Microsoft XML 4.0 Service Pack 2. Now I can't get online. What did this program do to my broadband connection?
:(:!::(:(:(:D:D:D:D:D

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:31 pm

Ok, sent you an e-mail detailing how my computer doesn't have internet, but my Xbox and other computer do.

Re: Sudoku killed my internet

Postby Loren Pechtel » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:04 pm

URABAHN wrote:I installed Sudoku and allowed it to upgrade Microsoft XML 4.0 Service Pack 2. Now I can't get online. What did this program do to my broadband connection?

Note that I have no association with this game, I'm speaking only as a programmer.

Given your description of what happened I would be suspicious of some sort of malware on your system.

Updating windows components with any connection whatsoever to internet access on an infested system can screw things up badly. The problem is that such programs like to hide themselves deep in the stuff Windows uses to access the internet and when Microsoft's installer blindly replaces a file that has been tampered with the result can be a big mess.

I've hosed a system badly enough to need to format/reinstall by installing the Internet Explorer 6 update without realizing the system was infected.

What are you using for a firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware?
Loren Pechtel

Return to Forum questions and feedback