Sudoku grid test software

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Re: Sudoku grid test software

Postby enxio27 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:21 am

sudokutester wrote:No there is no File/Classify option

You're right--my bad. Ruud apparently changed the menu options after he wrote those instructions, and I was going off the instructions. It's actually Collection/Rate. It will rate all the puzzles in that .sdm file and save the results in another file with the extension .scl.

However the batch handling option of SudoCue is useless for my purpose because you cannot see exactly which file it's skipping (there are no file names appearing).

There's only one file, the .sdm file. The number at the beginning of each line of the rating file (.scl) that is generated is the (implied) line number of the puzzle as it appears in the puzzle file (.sdm). As I said, if a number is skipped, the corresponding puzzle is invalid. To make things a little easier to see, I import the .scl file into an Excel spreadsheet (one column for each semicolon-separated property), and visually check for skipped numbers, inserting a blank line for each of those skipped. Then I create a new column A in the spreadsheet and import the .sdm file into the new column. Then you can easily eliminate the invalid puzzles (which are the ones with no rating information).

I'm sorry you're right of course SudoCue is the correct name.........

Just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same program. :)
enxio27

Postby sudokutester » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:47 am

Thank you all for suggestions handed to me on this forum.
I've found an easy to use program that does exactly what I needed and more.
SudoCue could do the job as enxio27 explained in several posts but it is a bit cumbersome in the way of doing things.
With SudoCue you need to edit all text files to the right format, join them, change the extension, create a rate file, etc..

Sudoku-Explainer is the program we desperately need (a bit exaggerated) to do the work.
{
note by Moderator(Pat) — name corrected several posts later — "Sudoku-Organizer/Generator/Printer" }
http://home.arcor.de/guentermeinel/

Start the program, Click on "Open", Click on "Add All Single Sudokus" , Select one of the files in the folder needed to be tested and Voila..
|t reads different formats thus no editing, joining etc.. Kudos to the programmer.
I wish you all a blessed 2013.......
sudokutester

Postby champagne » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:44 pm

advertising a product is accepted in that forum
Nevertheless, I find the process used here very negative for future players really calling for help.
champagne
2017 Supporter

Postby sudokutester » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:22 pm

champagne wrote:advertising a product is accepted in that forum
Nevertheless, I find the process used here very negative for future players really calling for help.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by saying that "the process used here is very negative for future players really calling for help"?
I don't get your drift to be fair.
It's a Freeware and I'm not the programmer (he is a German).
sudokutester

Postby enxio27 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:57 pm

sudokutester wrote:With SudoCue you need to edit all text files to the right format, join them, change the extension, create a rate file, etc.

I find it useful to store my (rather extensive) collection of puzzles in .sdm format anyway, so I don't find it cumbersome at all. It's the very most efficient, compact format, and all of the programs I use can read from an .sdm file when I'm ready to print a puzzle to solve. I've created batch files to do all of the formatting for me, so it's as simple as running that batch file. I also rate all of the puuzles I collect as a matter of course, as well, so that I solve them from easiest to hardest.
enxio27

Postby enxio27 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:00 pm

champagne, I, too, have no idea what you're trying to say here.
enxio27

Postby champagne » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:24 pm

enxio27 wrote:

champagne, I, too, have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Let me tell it that way.

I have a strong feeling that sudokutester had at the very beginning the knowledge of the final link and that i wasted time trying to help him.
champagne
2017 Supporter

Postby enxio27 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:52 pm

sudokutester wrote:SudokuSolver has no OCR option as far as I could see.

It's a separate program, available from his forum, if it's not on the main site.
enxio27

Postby enxio27 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:55 pm

champagne wrote:I have a strong feeling that sudokutester had at the very beginning the knowledge of the final link and that i wasted time trying to help him.

Perhaps, but I myself didn't get that impression. At any rate, he seems to be happy with what he found.
Last edited by enxio27 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enxio27

Postby enxio27 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm

sudokutester wrote:Sudoku-Explainer is the program we desperately need (a bit exaggerated) to do the work.

So, how did you find this program, and what induced you to try a link with absolutely no accompanying information?

By the way, Sudoku Explainer is a different program from the one you provided a link for, which is called Sudoku-Löser (Sudoku-Solver, not to be confused with Richard Broughton's SudokuSolver).
enxio27

Postby sudokutester » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 pm

enxio27 wrote:So, how did you find this program, and what induced you to try a link with absolutely no accompanying information?

A while ago I've intensively searched the internet for Suduku creators, solvers, OCR'ers, etc..
I've tested them shortly and when I thought them to be of any use I've put them on my USB stick along with all my other Freeware.
Because there are so many of them I couldn't find the program I was looking for.
After I've asked my question on this forum I kept on looking in my collection and then I've discovered that I already had the program that I was searching.

The name of the program isn't Sudoku-Explainer but Sudoku-Organizer.
I mixed the names.

You can find it on the website I've posted:
http://home.arcor.de/guentermeinel/

Look under the tab Downloads and choose:
Sudoku-Organizer/Generator/Printer v5.5.3

I think it's sad that the champagne guy is so suspicious about other people motives.
Especially when it's not correct.

enxio27 wrote:It's a separate program, available from his forum, if it's not on the main site.

Thank you I've already figured that out......

enxio27 wrote:By the way, Sudoku Explainer is a different program from the one you provided a link for, which is called Sudoku-Löser (Sudoku-Solver, not to be confused with Richard Broughton's SudokuSolver).

I'm sorry you're right I was confused it had to be Sudoku-Organizer.

Again thank you all for your answers even the champagne guy because he had put a lot of effort into explaining to me the skfr rating tool.
sudokutester

Postby enxio27 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:55 pm

sudokutester wrote:After I've asked my question on this forum I kept on looking in my collection and then I've discovered that I already had the program that I was searching.

Ahh.

I think it's sad that the champagne guy is so suspicious about other people motives.

Unfortunately, we get quite a number of people here trying to promote their own sudoku Web site or program by saying, "Hey, everybody, look at this really cool site/program I just found!" I can see why he thought your post was a little suspicious, although I myself didn't think it fit the usual pattern.
enxio27

Postby sudokutester » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:20 pm

enxio27 wrote:Unfortunately, we get quite a number of people here trying to promote their own sudoku Web site or program by saying, "Hey, everybody, look at this really cool site/program I just found!" I can see why he thought your post was a little suspicious, although I myself didn't think it fit the usual pattern.

If it's a Freeware then what's the problem with promoting your Website or program?
Although I have to admit that it's sneaky to pretend you're not the owner even it IS a Freeware.

enxio27 wrote: I've created batch files to do all of the formatting for me,

I'm not a computer whiz so for me Sudoku-Organizer is far more convenient than the SudoCue program concerning batch testing Sudoku text files.

I've tested the Sudoku Solver OCR program its name is SudokuGrabber but according to my findings nothing beats Sudoku Susser's OCR capabilities.
It's a hobby of mine to test all kind of Freeware........
sudokutester

Postby enxio27 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:44 pm

sudokutester wrote:If it's a Freeware then what's the problem with promoting your Website or program?

Whether or not it's allowed is up to the forum owner here (JasonLion). Even if the posting of other sites and programs is allowed, it's the dishonesty in the way it's done that's the problem.

I'm not a computer whiz

It's a hobby of mine to test all kind of Freeware........

Hmmmm. . . Testing software properly is awfully difficult if you're not a computer whiz. o.O
enxio27

Postby JasonLion-Admin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Speaking as the site-admin:
Promoting software is only allowed in a single topic (per program) and only in the Software area. Commenting on other people's programs is normally fine. However, there are a lot of fairly sneaky/dishonest people who come along and promote their products under several different user names, pretending to be different people, with a variety of "excuses" about why they are saying good things about product XYZ. Because of that it is understandable to be suspicious of anyone who is sounding too much like marketing hype, regardless of the context.

sudokutester, I suggest you moderate your excitement so it sounds a bit less like marketing hype and stop posting links to the program(s) you are so excited about (unless someone asks where you found it/them). Then we can get back to the original subject of this topic.
JasonLion-Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Software