Sudoku Diagonals

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

a hard diagonal sudoku

Postby Scott H » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:36 am

Most of the diagonal sudokus at Menneske's site aren't overly hard (for me). The hardest available setting is usually solvable with X-wings (which are fun when they involve diagonals!).

This one seems notably harder than most. I used color chains (forcing chains on a single number, but beyond simple coloring) to crack it.

By the way, diagonal sudokus can have 3-edge forcing chains, which can't occur in normal sudoku. "Delta-wings" seems like a reasonable name for these shortest non-trivial forcing chains.

P.S.- Just discoved why it was so hard. I accidentally omitted a clue (the initial 7 at r7c2). Still solvable, just hard:)
Scott H

Postby 123HI » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:54 am

no matter what kind of sudoku it is... i can figure it out in less than 10 minutes because all sudoku is based on deduction... you just eliminate other possibilties and narrow it to one and continue on... so basically a 9by9 sudoku puzzle will be the same difficulty as a 20by20 since you're basically doing the same exact thing but for more numbers... it just takes practice to get your mind into counting numbers quickly and eliminating possibilities fast.
123HI

Previous

Return to Sudoku variants