Sudo Vanished! Was it Kaspersky? Is it a Trojan? [Ans: No]

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Postby Pappocom » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:50 pm

Thanks, Ken. It seems that you had a different problem, which just happened to crop up at the same time as someone else's problem about the trojan.

It sounds as if your Shortcut for Sudoku was broken, for some reason. There could be lots of reasons for that, both legitimate and illegitimate.

When you went looking for it, you couldn't find sud.exe. Getting re-started from that situation can be problematic. It is a situation that confronts people who, for example, have had to do a Windows-sanctioned "System Restore".

Please look for this directory on your computer:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\MimarSinan\Installation Information\{FB5055E4-9BE1-425F-B40A-33E43E9460DA

Please delete the entire "{FB5055E4-9BE1-425F-B40A-33E43E9460DA}" directory and all of its contents. You will then have a clean slate. Then you can install the Sudoku program again, by Run-ning the SudokuSetup file.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Ken » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:54 pm

Thank you, that worked. How it broke overnight, I have no idea. If it breaks again, I will let you know.
Ken

Postby Pappocom » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:29 pm

I emailed Kaspersky and here is their reply:

Kaspersky wrote:Hello.

This problem already fixed.
Wrong record removed from our av bases.

Sincerely yours,
Pavel Zelensky
Virus analyst

Kaspersky Lab Ltd
Moscow, Russia
Tel/Fax: +7 (095) 797-8700
E-mail: newvirus@kaspersky.com
Internet: http://www.kaspersky.com, http://www.viruslist.com

So the problem is over. There never was a problem - not at my end, anyway.

Note that Kaspersky's email makes no mention of the damage that they have done to my reputation. And certainly no mention of any compensation!:) Ah well, just one of those things that tests the resolve of the Independent program developer...

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Ken » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:38 pm

The damage to your reputation will heal quickly, especially since you have their admission. And if anything this gives you publicity.
Ken

Previous

Return to Forum questions and feedback