Standardizing the Uniqueness descriptions...

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Postby wintder » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:55 pm

udosuk wrote:My point is, you typed the following line:

[code]paste[/code]

That would show what was intended as an instruction.

udosuk wrote:
Code: Select all
paste

The above would not be instructive.

This has been quite an amusing exchange!
wintder

Postby udosuk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:11 pm

Luke451 wrote:Really, I was just trying to help the guy out. The method I described has worked for me, so I didn't see the holes in my procedure. Maybe you could help me out. The only way I can make [code]this[/code] happen is to "Disable BBCode in this post."

Normally, to display a line like [code]this[/code] without using the "Disable BBCode in this post" feature, one would do it in a code box itself:
[code]this[/code]

However, there are ways to display the line in the "normal area" of a post. Typically one needs to insert some "invisible tags" within the code tags, such as:
[[b][/b]code]this[[b][/b]/code]

[[b][/b]code]this[[b][/b]/code]

You can see how I displayed the line above by quoting my post and pretend to reply (but don't hit the "Submit" button).:idea:

Luke451 wrote:Oh, and I'm glad my floundering has at least been a source of amusement for ya. I'd hate waste everyone's time for nothing!:D

Oh believe me it wasn't a waste of anyone's time. Even though RW said this thread should have been left sleeping on p.311, I believe these coding tricks are useful (to some extent) for everyone who happens to be here. As for your "floundering" I was just intrigued by the fact that a relatively new poster like you could inadvertently display the line "[code]paste[/code]" without disabling BBCode, which is considered a very tricky/difficult stuff to do for many veteran posters.:!:

As for how you did it in that very post, I did figure out the reason but it was another story, which I wish to let others to think about more before revealing. Like I said it's intended to be a riddle for everyone to solve, rather than as a "making-fun-of-you" sort of thing.:)
udosuk

Postby daj95376 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:19 pm

Withdrawn: I had a typo that I thought was correct.

Sorry!!!
Last edited by daj95376 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby udosuk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:24 pm

daj95376 wrote:Well, since we're learning things ...

paste

[code]paste[\code]

don't need embedded bold tags for the second example.

But you don't suppose those novices would somehow mistakenly take [\code] as correct and [/code] as wrong?:?:
udosuk

Postby ronk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:22 pm

I'm beginning to think Australia has 25 hours/day.:)
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby Luke » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:49 am

udosuk wrote:I was just intrigued by the fact that a relatively new poster like you could inadvertently display the line "[code]paste[/code]" without disabling BBCode

I'm sitting here shaking my head and laughing. It is all so clear now. You're right, of course. I'm slow but sure (mainly sure slow.) How in hades did I manage to do that by accident? I never thought twice abt it because it said what I wanted it to say!

I did it once, I should be able to again...here goes.
paste

Nope. Again:
paste

Dammit. I could do this all day and never again get
[code]paste[/code]

Crikey....and here all along I'm wondering why I'm getting the needle when all I was trying to do was help a brother out. I'm staunchly defending one issue while remaining oblivious to the real one.

At least now I can finally join in and laugh at myself along with everyone else. I await your reveal of my magic trick.

Luke in Ca
Knife Salesman
Luke
2015 Supporter

Postby udosuk » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:37 am

Luke, glad that you finally figure out my real intention.:)

I admit it looked like a "ego trip" (or whatsoever) but what I was trying to express (and draw attention on) was an interesting phenomenon accidentally created by Luke451's friendly gesture to help out a newcomer, John Meyer. I'm not that good on "Aussie humour" so it might have been mistaken for some ill-intended attack/insult which was certainly not what I set out to do, and for that I apologise.

Like RW said the information about uniqueness in this thread is very outdated and not that useful, so I figure I'd just borrow it to put forward this interesting little issue and discuss a little bit. It certainly isn't worth to open a new thread just for it.:)

As for how Luke accidentally performed this trick (typing "[code]paste[/code]" without the forum machine turning it to an actual code box, and without disabling BBCode or using the "invisible tags" trick), the answer is actually quite simple. One just needs to go back to Luke's original quote (the 7th one from the top of the previous page) and observe carefully with the quoted message by John Meyer. There was something unnatural in there which disrupted the whole structure of BBCode tags within that post.

So with the "secret" revealed I think this small issue is settled, and I'll be happy to see this thread sinking back down to invisibility for the near future.:) (Unless something else interesting is raised by somebody else.)

udosuk (from somewhere with 25+ hrs/day:D )
udosuk

Postby wintder » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:47 am

udosuk wrote: John Meyer. There was something unnatural in there which disrupted the whole structure of BBCode tags within that post.

Yep. I assume it was wrong font. I cannot duplicate it without quotes.

I am at a halt. (stymied, the spell checker hated.) Is there a more off topic thread?
wintder

Postby Pat » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:22 am

wintder wrote --
      I cannot duplicate it without quotes

actually the quote is not needed

the trouble is in the extra ( un-balanced ) "code"

example --

[code]

[code] huh [/code]
Pat

Postby wintder » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:10 pm

Pat wrote:
    wintder wrote --
      I cannot duplicate it without quotes

actually the quote is not needed

the trouble is in the extra ( un-balanced ) "code"

example --

[code]

[code] huh [/code]

Thanks Pat, is there a way to do this by just using a font that isn't accepted?
(And still have a readable message.:) )
wintder

Previous

Return to Advanced solving techniques