Spam from Frank Vedel and the "Sudoku World" forum

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Spam from Frank Vedel and the "Sudoku World" forum

Postby angusj » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:18 pm

I suspect I'm not the only one who's received an "invitation" from Frank Vedel via a message here to join the Sudoku World forum. Anyhow, I think it's poor form to come to someone else's forum and tout for new members.

Please desist!
angusj

Postby george-no1 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:27 pm

I've joined in order to become a double agent and spy on the opposition!

George:)
george-no1

Postby Lindy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:34 pm

Sorry, but I don't agree that it's spam. I see no harm in advertising a new Group. It seems to me no different than other people advertising their Sudoku websites or software.

You're loyalty to this site is commended but I see no reason why people shouldn't also be members of other forums. It's up to the individual, really.
Lindy

Postby george-no1 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:35 pm

Did anyone else receive the exact same message again today?

I could just about understand why it was sent again if I hadn't joined, but the fact that I actually have makes it very annoying.

G
george-no1

Postby Lindy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:15 pm

AngusJ, I owe you an apology. I thought you meant that Frank Vedel was advertising on the forum, but now I see that he is sending private messages. Hmn, that probably is out of order.
Lindy

Postby george-no1 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:11 pm

So you didn't receive the message then Lindy? Who did then, apart from angusj and myself, and why is Mr. Vedel sending these PMs to some people and not others?

G:)
george-no1

Postby Karyobin » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:30 pm

Well I'm disgusted! I am quite obviously the most important person here and have not received an invite. The shame of it! The disgrace!!

By the way Lindy, I have to disagree - if someone came into my shop (if I had a shop) and starting trying to get people to go to theirs, they'd be asked to depart in no uncertain terms. Cheeky b**gers.
Karyobin

Postby udosuk » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:50 pm

Were you guys serious? I thought everybody received an invitation, because I'm like a nobody in this forum and even I got one...

However, I didn't reply or went there, not because of the loyalty issue or anything but simply too busy... I'm just staying here to watch the progress of the quest for the 16-hinter...

But I slightly disagree about the shop analogy, because a shop customer is supposed to enable the shop owner to make profit... but this is a free service so what's to lose if some of the users here join the other place? I'm sure if they find something interesting here they'll come and if they can't they'll leave no matter they join other forums or not...
udosuk

Postby Nick70 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:14 pm

I wasn't messaged either.
Nick70

Postby Karyobin » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:20 pm

The shop analogy was by no means designed to be a perfect parallel. And yes, the internet in general is about very little other than information interchange. But ultimately you need structure. If Wayne chooses to include links to other user groups, then that's fine. But if every Muppet who likes seeing their photo on t'internet starts advertising their own little talking shop, well, we'll all pretty much be bogged down in invitations won't we? (Apart from me and Nick70, apparently.)

Good point too - interesting things may be going on out there which users of this site might find useful - but we don't do sudoku because we want to be given the answers do we? If you want to search for wisdom (or the possibility of it) elsewhere, that's fine - that's what Google's for, innit?
Karyobin

Postby george-no1 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:17 pm

OK well I think I'm gonna try to do a little more comprehensive research as to who got the invites and then maybe we can work out why some of us didn't and some did.

To this end, I am starting a poll in a new topic. Please vote (even if you have said whether you received it or not already) so that we can get a good overview.

G:)
george-no1

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:17 pm

I was invited, had a look at the website but didn't join.

No idea why I was chosen - it's not like I'm solver no. 1 or anything, must be my charming personality and stunning good looks! - but what gets me is the PM's. Why not just start a thread and ask everybody? The journalists do that when they are looking for information.

Personally, I'd rather not have things like this put into my inbox - which is for off thread messages from you lot.

And if it's successful, we'll get an inordinate amount of it on a regular basis, which I can definitely do without.

Luna
Last edited by lunababy_moonchild on Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lunababy_moonchild

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:30 pm

So, Frank is a member but hasn't made any posts (checked the memberlist). Which means he can be messaged and asked.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Karyobin » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:04 pm

Luna...

Re: message 1.

If he started a thread, most likely Wayne would remove it. I would.

Personally, I'd rather not have things like this put into my inbox

My point exactly.

Re: message 2.

Which means he can be messaged and asked.

Can I ask him? Please? Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease...

I promise not to be too naughty.
Karyobin

Postby The Druid » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:09 pm

Yes, I received an invitation by PM from this unknown gentleman - goodness knows why, as I haven't posted for several weeks. Perhaps he is working his way through all members of this website in some kind of logical order ("date joined", perhaps, rather than alphabetical?).

I haven't looked at his website (yet)... I hesitated in case it was a scam or trojan or some other form of Web evil. Those of you who have joined - is it genuine, is it interesting, is it worth it?

Oh, and yes, I have filled in the poll, George:D

The Druid
The Druid

Next

Return to General