Sorting Puzzle Files

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Sorting Puzzle Files

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:06 pm

I'd like to see a feature in the program whereby I can sort (like Windows : View, Arrange Icons By) my saved puzzles - if there isn't already this facility and I've missed it!

I like to keep my puzzes in folders and sort them in alphabetical order.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Pappocom » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:50 pm

You can create subdirectories within your Saved Puzzles directory, and save puzzles into those subdirectories.

When you ask to see your Saved Puzzles, though, you will always be brought into the root Saved Puzzles directory.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:35 am

Yes, and they are exactly where I want them and in alphabetical order.

It's just that when I go to open a saved puzzle in the saved puzzles dialogue box, the files (in which I keep the saved puzzles) are not in alphabetical order and I can't figure out how to make them alphabetical. I have to admit there are only 12 such files initially and then 8 files after that, so I suppose you could say I was being pedantic, but if they are sorted alphabetically it's a lot easier to find.

For example, I'm sharing the program with someone else. He keeps his puzzles (actually he keeps them any way he wants and in no particular order, all over the place) in his file initially, but if I have mine in my file and then in alaphabetical order then they are easier to find, for me.

To be clearer : Open Dialogue Box, His File, My File, then random puzzles he saves. I click on My Files (which presently is held anywhere in this dialogue), which leads me to more files. Although there are, at present, only 8 files here it would be a lot easier if they were in alphabetical order because then I could go straight to Pappocom (say) then choose Easy, Medium or Hard. Whereas just now these files are not stored together. Putting these puzzles in the one file doesn't help either because they are not stored alphabetically and thus they are not easy to separate which makes them harder to find - if you see what I mean.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Pappocom » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:45 pm

I think your problem can be solved by Windows itself.

I have my Windows settings set so that files are always listed alphabetically, and so I tend to forget that it is possible to have them listed in other ways.

It depends on which version of Windows you are using, but most recent versions let you show files as icons, names, list, thumbnails, tiles, etc.. If you chose List or Details, the files should be shown alphabetically.

Does that help, or have I entirely misunderstood your question?

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:14 pm

I'm sure that if there is any misunderstanding it's because of my horrendous descriptions:D

The operating system is Windows XP and I tried every different view with no success. However, in Icons I was allowed to manually put the files in alphabetical order - which would do - but when the dialogue box was closed and then reopened the files were not in alphabetical order and the view went back to List.

When I access this from : Computer, Program Files, Pappocom ..... etc the saved files are in alphabetical order (so, I could access them from there), it's just in the opening dialogue box that they are not (and won't stay that way, for some reason). Unless it's operator error !

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby MCC » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:27 pm

Luna, try - file - open - right click in empty space - arrange icons by.

Hopefully that should sort you out.

MCC
MCC

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:10 pm

MCC wrote:Luna, try - file - open - right click in empty space - arrange icons by.

Hopefully that should sort you out.

MCC

Thank you very much for that and it does work, except that the icons don't stay sorted.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Return to Forum questions and feedback