Some suggestions

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Some suggestions

Postby Vindaloo » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:50 pm

Hi Pappocom,
I have some suggestions for making the program even better.

1. When dubbing have the current number either as the cursor or attached to the cursor. This would make using the mouse wheel a very attractive proposition. At the moment you have to either keep a mental note of which number you are on, or keep on looking up at it. Having the current number directly in your visual field would cut down dubbing time/effort dramatically.

2. Allow ascii import/export (i.e. cut & paste) of puzzles.
Here is a sudoku program which allows ascii import/export:
http://www.sudoku-solver.com/

3. When dubbing have the right mouse button as erase

Do any/all of those sound easy/desirable enough to implement??

Vin.
Vindaloo

Postby Pappocom » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:00 pm

Comments as follows:

1. Probably a good idea when dubbing. It doesn't work when in the solving stage, however - too much clutter, too many numbers. But the dubbing grid is clearer, so may be good. It is possible to dub using letters instead of numbers, so there's a bit of fuss in deciding which cursors to show (and in creating the cursor images). Someone has requested being able to dub in 16x16 puzzles. If that were possible, I would have to create and store 16 number cursors and 16 letter cursors ... Mmmm, I'll think about it. Maybe, for someone who can solve a Sudoku puzzle, remembering what number is selected with the mouse-wheel is not so big a problem?

2. Yes, some form of this will be present in the next version.

3. Is the double-click erase function not adequate? Please let me know.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Vindaloo » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:14 pm

3. Errr - what double-click erase?? Double-clicking for me changes to the number I am hovering over. Unless I'm missing something?

2. ok cool. Look forward to that.

1. I meant only for dubbing. I agree it doesn't make sense when solving.

> Maybe, for someone who can solve a Sudoku puzzle, remembering what number is selected with the mouse-wheel is not so big a problem?

If its difficult to program in a true "cursor" you could have a flashing number in the grid position the cursor is on, or if the cursor is off the window then the last grid position it was on. That would certainly not require anything extra in the way of graphics and would probably be pretty straight-forward to implement (though obviously its you who has to do the implementing so its your decision whether you think its worthwhile).

Vin.
Vindaloo

Big number wheel

Postby madmax » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:01 pm

What about if, instead or in addition to the number "wheel" on the top right, one could have a big number displayed to the left or right of the board indicating the currently selected number/letter? It would be particularly usefull to guys like myself who like to play it full screen on a 1680x1050 display...

Later,
Mad
madmax

Postby Pappocom » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:40 pm

Vindaloo wrote:3. Errr - what double-click erase?? Double-clicking for me changes to the number I am hovering over. Unless I'm missing something?

Sorry I haven't replied earlier. I didn't see your post when it first came in. For double-click erase, press F4 to bring up the Game Options dialog and you will see a checkbox on the front tab.

Does everybody realize that when you select a number by clicking on it in the grid, that number's button in the number bar goes down and stays down? You can always tell what number is selected by looking at the number bar.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby madmax » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:52 am

I can not easily put it here, and I my inet provider is doing some maintenance on the personal web space that it gives its customers, so I can not put a screenshot there and link it here, but I believe I will be able to later today, so I'll answer sometime later or tomorrow with a screenshot so you can better understand what I mean.

Later,
Mad
madmax

Postby madmax » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:09 am

Here's a prtscr taken in my pc:

(URL is http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0323108201/example.jpg just in case there's some problem showing the image);

My "problem" is that, since my screen is so large, I have to look to the right to find out which number is selected; ideally, the program could use the available space (possibly with some preference to toggle it on or off) and it would show the currently selected number in a more "visible" way, maybe in a different color.

That would make using the program a lot nicer.

Later,
Mad

[EDIT] Resized image to prevent horizontal scroll [/EDIT]
Last edited by madmax on Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madmax

Postby scrose » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:01 pm

madmax, it is possible to move the symbol toolbar to a more convenient location. Position your mouse cursor over the left edge of the symbol toolbar, then click and drag the toolbar left or right. You can also increase the size of the toolbars by going to View > Thick Bars. Combined, these two suggestions might help you easily see which number is currently selected.
scrose

Postby nj3h » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:50 pm

Is there a way to make the number toolbar a floating toolbar anywhere on the screen? If so, how?

Thanks.
nj3h

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:28 pm

That giant number thing, beside the puzzle so that you know what number you're on, would confuse the stuffing out of me. But that's just me.

Luna:D
lunababy_moonchild

Postby madmax » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:32 pm

Ok, your suggestion seems cool enough! There's only one problem with that: it doesn't stick! If I close the program and reopen it, I have to perform the same "select thick", move toolbar thing. Not very annoying, but if you could save that info between sessions, it would be GREAT!

Later,
Mad
madmax

Postby Pappocom » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:13 am

The issue about making "Thick bars" stick has been the subject of a previous post. This may be made possible in the next version of the program.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Return to Forum questions and feedback