Skyscraper sudoku

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Skyscraper sudoku

Postby Pyrrhon » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:03 am

With respect to the battleship sudoku by motris I will give here an example of a skyscraper sudoku (how knows my page could know it). This variant wasn't invented by me but I think it is still interesting to solve it:

Fill the grid with the digits 1 to 9. The digits represent the height of the skyscraper in each cell. Each row, column and 3x3-box will have exactly one of each digit. The clues along the egdes tell you how many skyscrapers you can see from that vantage point.

Pyrrhon

Postby motris » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:01 pm

I've always liked the skyscraper variation of sudoku. There have always been smaller "jigsaw skyscraper" type puzzles, particularly in some European magazines, but these always feel more like skyscraper puzzles than sudoku (of course, as jigsaws, they just use a latin square concept - so calling them sudoku is probably a big stretch).

However, the one 9x9 sudoku-style skyscraper I did was one of my favorite puzzles in recent memory. You can find it in the set of puzzles from Japan that Ed Pegg links to in his Sudoku Variations article (search Skyscraper Number Place - its about 3/4ths down the page).

Anyway, thanks pyrrhon for this puzzle. I will definitely try it out.

Thomas Snyder
motris

Postby Pyrrhon » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:30 am

I know this page. It wasn't my claim to give a new sudoku variant but only to give an example for another interesting crossover. Another example of this variant you can find at http://diogen.h1.ru/english/puzzle06-2.html (look for No. 6)

Pyrrhon
Pyrrhon

Return to Sudoku variants