Sending personal messages

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Sending personal messages

Postby wychwood » Fri May 23, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi Administrator

I don't seem to be able to send personal messages.
I can logon (as wychwood), type them, click submit, I get a message saying the message has been sent, but the message never gets into the Sent Box, only the saved box.

How can I send these please?

Thanks
wychwood
wychwood
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 08 February 2007

Postby udosuk » Fri May 23, 2008 5:01 pm

By "saved box" do you actually mean the "outbox"?

Right after you send a private message, it is saved in your outbox. Meanwhile you can edit/delete it if you feel the need.

But once the recipient sees this message in his/her inbox and clicks open it to read, that message would be moved from your outbox to your sentbox, and you can no longer edit/delete it (because your recipient has already read it).

So if your recipient never gets to open/read your message it will stay in your outbox forever and will never be moved to your sentbox.:idea:
udosuk
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: 17 July 2005

Postby wintder » Sat May 24, 2008 3:02 am

udosuk wrote:
Right after you send a private message, it is saved in your outbox. Meanwhile you can edit/delete it if you feel the need.



I thought that also but at one site I deleted a message from my outbox and found later that it was delivered anyway.
The powers that be told me that once in the outbox it is actually a sent message.

I don't know, is that is true here?

I'll test by PMing udosuk and deleting it right after sent.
wintder
 
Posts: 297
Joined: 24 April 2007

Postby udosuk » Sat May 24, 2008 4:26 am

wintder wrote:I thought that also but at one site I deleted a message from my outbox and found later that it was delivered anyway.
The powers that be told me that once in the outbox it is actually a sent message.

I don't know, is that is true here?

I'll test by PMing udosuk and deleting it right after sent.

Yes I believe you have successfully deleted it as I never received anything from you.

In the outbox the recipient can open your message anytime in his/her own inbox, so perhaps that time just before you managed to delete it your recipient was 1 or 2 seconds quicker than you to open it.:) Those powers weren't wrong when they said it was actually a sent message because it's already appearing in the recipient's inbox, it just depends on your luck if you can edit/delete it before the recipient actually click open it.:idea:
udosuk
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: 17 July 2005

Postby wintder » Sat May 24, 2008 5:46 am

TY, good to know.
wintder
 
Posts: 297
Joined: 24 April 2007

Postby wychwood » Tue May 27, 2008 9:43 am

Thanks udosuk.

I am sure that the message was originally in the Save Box, but I can see that it is now in the Outbox.

By the way, does all this mean that one can tell when your intended recipient has seen/read the messsage, because it will move from Outbox to Sent Box?

Also, in PMs, I presume that 'submit' means the same as 'send' in conventional e-mailing (as opposed to meaning 'post to forum' on the main message boards)?

Thanks
wychwood
wychwood
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 08 February 2007

Postby udosuk » Tue May 27, 2008 11:52 am

wychwood wrote:By the way, does all this mean that one can tell when your intended recipient has seen/read the messsage, because it will move from Outbox to Sent Box?

Exactly.

wychwood wrote:Also, in PMs, I presume that 'submit' means the same as 'send' in conventional e-mailing (as opposed to meaning 'post to forum' on the main message boards)?

I think the 3 things are all different.

The PM "submit" button is the "slightest" action of all. Once you "submit" the PM, if you change your mind within minutes and decide to retract it, chances are it is still in the Outbox and you can edit/delete that PM and your recipient won't be able to see it at all. (However he/she might receive a email notification in his/her inbox letting her know that "you got a PM" but will never get to know the content unless you show him/her again.)

The "post to forum" is the next level up. Once you "submit" a public post, within seconds people browsing in the forum can see it. However, you can edit it any time to prevent any more viewers should you find the need to do so. And if you do so before others post a new message below yours, there won't be an "edited" mark at the bottom of your post to show how many times you have edited it, and you can also delete the whole post should you want.

The "send" button in email is the "strongest" move. Once your press it and the email is sent there is nothing you can do to retract it. Whatever written is delivered straight to your recipient's email inbox (barring any unforeseen situations such as servers being down or mistyping email addresses).

So my suggestion is, before you press the "submit" or "send" button, always use the "preview" button first (if available) and always think not only twice, but thrice before you actually submit/send it out to avoid any regret.:idea:
udosuk
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: 17 July 2005

Postby ronk » Tue May 27, 2008 11:58 am

udosuk wrote:The "post to forum" is the next level up. Once you "submit" a public post, within seconds people browsing in the forum can see it. However, you can edit it any time to prevent any more viewers should you find the need to do so.

That implies the original public post disppears during editing, but I'm sure that's not the case.

[edit: Oh, never mind. I just realized you probably meant "prevent any more viewers from seeing the original", because one has then edited it.]
ronk
2012 Supporter
 
Posts: 4764
Joined: 02 November 2005
Location: Southeastern USA


Return to Forum questions and feedback

cron