Riddle (sort of)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri May 26, 2006 4:09 pm

Hud wrote:Cec, when I write my checks to the government, I write them this was:
"One hundred three thousand nine hundred seventy two".
Maybe it's a US thing to exclude the "ands".

In Britain we would write : "One hundred and three thousand, nine hundred and seventy two"

Otherwise we'd have no idea what the amount was meant to be!

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Chessmaster » Fri May 26, 2006 9:08 pm

can we have a clue
Chessmaster

Postby Hud » Fri May 26, 2006 9:31 pm

Luna, that's interesting. Now I have to ask some locals how they would write it. I may have omitted several commas along the way.
Hud

Riddle (sort of)

Postby Cec » Sat May 27, 2006 1:44 am

Hud wrote:Cec, ...I hope you played golf better than I did, and can spell "Nowitzki" lol."

How does a 73 sound? The good news is I improved on the back nine. LOL

Sorry, but I don't understand your reference to spelling "Nowitzki" Can you explain ?

lunababy_moonchild wrote:"....In Britain we would write : "One hundred and three thousand, nine hundred and seventy two" ..."

Likewise, we write numbers and cheques the same way in Australia.

Cec
Cec

Postby Hud » Sat May 27, 2006 3:51 pm

Cec, your golf score sounds like my nine hole score but not quite.

I've been swapping NBA observations with udosuk, and was misspelling Dirk Nowitzi's name all the time. I simply never noticed the z instead of the s. Maybe I need new glasses?

I'm still trying to poll some local friends as to the use of "and" in the US. I'm pretty sure I learned it sans "and" in school, but that was a while back.
Hud

Re: Riddle (sort of)

Postby Cec » Sat May 27, 2006 11:01 pm

Cec wrote:How does a 73 sound? The good news is I improved on the back nine. LOL

Hud wrote:Cec, your golf score sounds like my nine hole score but not quite.

Hud, I wish I could shoot a 73. My score can range from mid-eighties (a rare good day) to the high nineties (bad day). The above "73" or other number is a common "tongue in cheek" joke around our clubhouse where if somebody tells you they had an 85 or a 95 etc. the reply is something like " Gee! well done - are you going to play the back nine" or "how did you go on the back nine". Seems like you're on "par" with me:)

Cec
Cec

Previous

Return to Coffee bar