Private Messages Question

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Private Messages Question

Postby Sudtyro » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:57 pm

Having some trouble with private messages, and not sure if I'm doing them correctly....

Seems that when I compose a message and hit the Submit button, the message goes to the Outbox and just sits there for some time (maybe days). There's no obvious "Send" button within the Outbox, so not sure whether the message has gone out, since it doesn't appear in the Sentbox.

I submitted two messages on the 21st to two different users....one went out right away (and I got a response), but the other is still in the outbox it seems. What is the Outbox, exactly?

Thanks for any help!
Sudtyro
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 21 December 2006

Postby ronk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:03 pm

Message stays in Outbox until recipient opens it, then it moves to Sentbox.
ronk
2012 Supporter
 
Posts: 4764
Joined: 02 November 2005
Location: Southeastern USA

Postby udosuk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:14 pm

Well, if your intended recipient somehow doesn't realise you've sent him/her a PM, there's almost nothing you can do about it...

Last year on Oct 16 I sent a PM to Animator (the former administrator) regarding spams, and it's still sitting in my Outbox...

If it's urgent, check the Memberlist to see if your intended recipient has included his/her email address in the profile...:idea:
udosuk
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: 17 July 2005

Postby Sudtyro » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:37 pm

Mystery solved!! At least now you know by whom you're being ignored!:D

Many thanks!
Sudtyro
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 21 December 2006

re: being ignored

Postby Pat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:10 pm

Sudtyro wrote:At least now you know by whom you're being ignored!


not necessarily being ignored --
    maybe i've quit the Forum -- permanently or temporarily, perhaps on vacation

    or i'm reading the Forum without logging in

    if i did log in,
    perhaps i never noticed that "You have 1 new message"

    even noticing it,
    i might ignore this
    and never look in my inbox
    -- thus not knowing who it is who's trying to reach me

    only when i actually reach my inbox
    will i know it's you
    and then you could complain i'm ignoring you
User avatar
Pat
 
Posts: 3440
Joined: 18 July 2005

Re: re: being ignored

Postby udosuk » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:44 pm

Pat wrote:even noticing it,
i might ignore this
and never look in my inbox
-- thus not knowing who it is who's trying to reach me

only when i actually reach my inbox
will i know it's you
and then you could complain i'm ignoring you

Normally when we register we give the forum an email address. The default settings would specify that an email will be sent to that account whenever someone send us a PM, which will also tell us who is the sender. So even we don't reach the inbox, we could possibly know who has sent us a PM...

Of course, if you're looking for excuses, you can say you never check that email account, or you've disabled that "send a email whenever a PM is delivered to the inbox" feature...
udosuk
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: 17 July 2005

re: being ignored

Postby Pat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:50 pm

udosuk wrote:Normally when we register we give the forum an email address. The default settings would specify that an email will be sent to that account whenever someone send us a PM, which will also tell us who is the sender. So even we don't reach the inbox, we could possibly know who has sent us a PM...

Of course, if you're looking for excuses, you can say you never check that email account, or you've disabled that "send a email whenever a PM is delivered to the inbox" feature...


  1. apparently i have disabled that "send a email whenever a PM is delivered to the inbox" feature (for this Forum)
  2. that e-mail account is not read on any regular basis
  3. in the other Forum, i do get e-mail notification of PM,
    thus i can report that the notification does not identify the sender of the PM
User avatar
Pat
 
Posts: 3440
Joined: 18 July 2005

Re: re: being ignored

Postby udosuk » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:04 pm

Pat wrote:[list=3][*]in the other Forum, i do get e-mail notification of PM,
thus i can report that the notification does not identify the sender of the PM[/list]

I think it depends on which system the forum works on... Apparently the phpbb system doesn't identify the sender, but I've been in other forums which does so in their PM notification emails...

So I concede my point that we could know who've sent us PMs without checking into the inbox (in this forum)...:)
udosuk
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: 17 July 2005


Return to Forum questions and feedback