Printing Options

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Printing Options

Postby barbarashm » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:06 pm

Hello,

I would like to print the puzzles bigger, i.e. as wide as a DIN A4 page would allow it, i.e. a minimum of 15 by 15 cm instead of now <10 by 10. I have been through all the help, have learned all about printing, but am unable to alter the overall size. What am I doing wrong????

barbara
barbarashm

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:52 pm

Hello and welcome to the Forum Barbara.

Here is the answer :

1. If you print just 1 puzzle to a page (or 2), the puzzle grid/s comes out bigger than if you print 4 or 6 to a page.

2. The puzzles are printed as a certain proportion of the size of the paper you are using. If you fool the program into thinking that you are using bigger paper, the grids will come out larger. A piece of A4 is 210mm x 297mm. If you say you are printing on paper that is (say) 250x350 (but in reality still feed A4 into your printer's tray), you will get a larger grid. I have not tested it with those actual measurements (250x350), so you may have to experiment. Perhaps you might like to let me know what measurements work for you. If you make the measurements too big, you will get a big grid but some of it will be off the page to the right. The grid is always centered on the page which the program *thinks* it is printing to.

3. From item 2 (above) you will see that you get bigger grids if you use bigger paper. If you had some larger-size paper available (say, A3) and had the printer which could take it, you would get larger grids. After printing, you would probably have to cut the page into more manageable sizes, with one grid on each piece.

4. Does your printer let you scale the size of what you are printing? Scaling is usually used for fitting more things on a page, but it can also be used to make things larger.

5. You could try capturing the on-screen puzzle as an image (use Alt-PrtScr) and import it into Paint (which comes with Windows) or a painting or graphics program, and try to enlarge it before printing the image. The print-out would not look nice - the image would be very fuzzy.

Hope that helps

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Printing Options

Postby barbarashm » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:33 pm

[quote="lunababy_moonchild"]

Hello Luna and thank you very much for your advice:

Here is the answer :

[list]1. If you print just 1 puzzle to a page (or 2), the puzzle grid/s comes out bigger than if you print 4 or 6 to a page. = 1 puzzle per page is the one which is too small for my taste and made me write in the first place.

2. The puzzles are printed as a certain proportion of the size of the paper you are using. If you fool the program into thinking that you are using bigger paper = unfortunately my printer (Canon i560) seems to be too smart to let me do that. It switches all my commands back to "adjust to page" and prints the same size as under 1.

3. From item 2 (above) you will see that you get bigger grids if you use bigger paper. = My printer cannot process A3.

4. Does your printer let you scale the size of what you are printing? It lets me scale but to no result. It switches whatever I tell him (it must be a man being so obstinate) to "adjust to page".

5. You could try capturing the on-screen puzzle as an image = I had thought of that already, but then I'd rather copy it by hand into the blank grid which can be found under www.dailysudoku.com.

So nothing helped but I am rather glad, that I found one unfulfillable wish in a program which is all in all really wonderful.

Wonderful Easterholidays to you

regards,

Barbara
barbarashm

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:36 pm

It is my understanding that a new version of the Program is being worked on as we 'speak' and, since this particular problem has been brought up before, may well be taken into consideration for the new version.

Happy holidays to you too.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Re: Printing Options

Postby Sudoku Master2 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:01 pm

barbarashm wrote:Hello,

I would like to print the puzzles bigger, i.e. as wide as a DIN A4 page would allow it, i.e. a minimum of 15 by 15 cm instead of now <10 by 10. I have been through all the help, have learned all about printing, but am unable to alter the overall size. What am I doing wrong????

barbara

I would like to print puzzles bigger to so I agree with you, barbarashm.
Sudoku Master2

Return to Forum questions and feedback