pencilmarks in unverified dubbed puzzle

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

pencilmarks in unverified dubbed puzzle

Postby jayfinke » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:02 pm

I have entered a dubbed puzzle from the newspaper. It will not verify, apparently because this one will require trial and error at some point. How do I get the program to proceed anyway and allow pencilmarks? Or is it not possible?
Jay
jayfinke

How Play unverified dubbed puzzle

Postby rryost@cox.net » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:00 pm

In Phx AZ, AZ Republic puzzle today not verifiable. Then I entered 6 cells I'd "solved" using logic, and it was verified as HARD, after which I was able to solve in 28 min using logic, no guesses, cut-try,.etc.

How can I play a non verified puzzle?
rryost@cox.net

Postby emm » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:16 pm

The Pappocom programme will not allow you to play an unverified puzzle - it's geared towards its own puzzles which don't require techniques beyond the ability of the majority of pen and paper solvers without the use of computer help. There are other computer programmes you can download if you want to dub in more difficult puzzles eg the very user friendly Simple Sudoku.

To understand the Pappocom policy on verified and unverified puzzles look up those sections in the Help Topic Index.

The programme does allow puzzles labelled valid but arguably unfair - these generally require some advanced techniques which are deemed to fall into the blurred area of trial and error. This has been a hotly debated topic. You could post the original puzzles if you're interested in feeding them to the wolves!:D
emm

Re: How Play unverified dubbed puzzle

Postby rryost@cox.net » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:30 am

rryost@cox.net wrote:In Phx AZ, AZ Republic puzzle today not verifiable. Then I entered 6 cells I'd "solved" using logic, and it was verified as HARD, after which I was able to solve in 28 min using logic, no guesses, cut-try,.etc.

How can I play a non verified puzzle?

My error! I made a mistake entering the pencil marks in my pen/paper solution, so one of the 6 additional cells I entered contained a correct answer number that was NOT based on logic. so the phpbb sudoku solver was correct in refusing to verify the original puzzle.

I've since switched to Simple Sudoku as suggested by another poster in this thread and it's automatic pencil mark generator is much to my preference.
rryost@cox.net

Return to Forum questions and feedback