Option for pencilmarks to start full

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Option for pencilmarks to start full

Postby milstream » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:10 pm

I would like to see an option to have all pencilmarks filled in on startup. I like to eliminate pencilmarks as numbers are played as opposed to filling them in as they are not played
milstream

Pencil Marks

Postby greyhound » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:49 pm

I agree completely with this request. Having an option to automatically insert pencil marks enables a user to avoid "grunt work" without negating the logical solution challenges. By contrast, I would not want to automatically delete pencil marks whenever a large number was entered.
greyhound

Postby Hud » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:05 pm

I also agree it would make solving the puzzles faster and easier, but whenever I foul-up a puzzle, it's because I missed inserting a pencil mark. I'm putting a lot of effort into being more diligent about this and not get so out-of-control.
Hud

Postby djkucha » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:55 am

I've been playing SudokuXP lately (http://www.extendedreality.com) which has an automarking feature, and it's pretty good... it basically fills up all of the "obvious" marks, without solving the entire puzzle for you.

The great thing is that after all the initial pencil marks are put in place, you can either leave automarking on or else turn it off. If you leave it on, then placing a number in a cell automatically removes marks for you. But if you turn it off, then you can play a regular game where you have to remove marks manually (so in a sense, the gruntwork of placing the initial marks is done for you, but the rest is up to you).

Give it a try!

DJ
djkucha

Return to Forum questions and feedback